Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Smartphone cameras: are we there yet?

Carabosse 16 41.2k 270 England
27 Mar 2019 2:57AM
The new Huawei P30 Pro has a proper 5x OPTICAL zoom (hooray! Tongue) It can go up to 10x in "hybrid" mode - one assumes interpolation or similar - and there is the usual useless digital zoom as well (50x with that).

You can see some video reviews here: LINK

A device like this must surely be the last nail in the coffin for compact cameras................. or is it?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Mar 2019 6:13AM
You mean the company who used photos from ‘proper’ cameras to mislead the customer about the P30’s camera capabilities? Is that the company? Wink
bornstupix2 2 79 1 France
27 Mar 2019 8:12AM
I suppose there are photographers who, like myself use old battered lenses and filters plus the likes of cctv optics on our main cameras to explore the edges of digital photography. At some point the real limits of these smartphone cameras will prove irresistible to the envelope pushers amongst our magnificent obsession. In the mean time we tolerate being bombarded by cynical cameramen paid by the likes of Apple and its ilk to extoll the wonders of selfie induced art, miserable renditions of the real world and ad-mens delusional tripe.....follow if you wish....all that will remain are real photographers and real images shot on real cameras....the rest is just part of the detritus that litters our art form from agfa rapid thru minidisk to disposable cameras...a very small percentage of it will be stunning and worthwhile but I fear most of the out put wont outlive the time frame it was shot in......Ever get the feeling we have been there before?... I feel I should add that I used an Agfa rapid in my early days as a budding `tog.
bluesandtwos 9 391 1 England
27 Mar 2019 8:37AM
Use whatever you can afford and that which makes you happy!

I would love to own a decent compact camera that shoots raw images, but at the moment (and for probably the forseeable future) my wallet won't permit oneSad. I find picture taking on my somewhat ancient and decrepit (like me) phone is an uninspiring chore and I usually would rather not bother! But then we are all different, thankfully.

Often it's not just the end product, unless it's for professional purposes, it is the whole process which gives us pleasure. For the same reason I use a fountain pen rather than a biro, the end result is the same but the experience is different.
I must go now as the nice people in the white coats have arrived with my long sleeved jacket, it must be 'treatment time' again!Wink
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
27 Mar 2019 4:30PM

Quote:Use whatever you can afford and that which makes you happy!

I would love to own a decent compact camera that shoots raw images, but at the moment (and for probably the forseeable future) my wallet won't permit oneSad. I find picture taking on my somewhat ancient and decrepit (like me) phone is an uninspiring chore and I usually would rather not bother! But then we are all different, thankfully.

Often it's not just the end product, unless it's for professional purposes, it is the whole process which gives us pleasure. For the same reason I use a fountain pen rather than a biro, the end result is the same but the experience is different.
I must go now as the nice people in the white coats have arrived with my long sleeved jacket, it must be 'treatment time' again!Wink

I agree with that. The pleasure certainly includes the whole picture taking process ☺.
From a fellow fountain pen user 😃.
banehawi Plus
15 2.0k 4006 Canada
27 Mar 2019 4:44PM
No, but computational photography, which is being developed and pushed in phone cams is the future.

Im with Keith, - using DSLR type image and claiming they were shot with the P30 is dodgy.
keith selmes 15 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2019 8:21PM
This is France 24 outside the Dorchester, just off Park Lane last Saturday.
Not sure what he's using. Unusual, all the other crews I've seen had proper cameras.

13388_1553717944.jpg

27 Mar 2019 8:59PM
Well, as a slight...”swerve” from the topic...I wish the smartphone developers paid more attention to actually making the “smart” designation apply to making phone calls clearer and battery life longer...both aspects seem to be in decline... (oh...and the prices sensible...).

Come on.... seriously, the picture taking capabilities of these things (although increasingly impressive..) are surely only of interest to the “selfie” instagram generation...and they’ve been capable of this requirement for quite a while now..

Sorry, but for me they will still NOT replace a normal camera...whatever “normal” will be for you...!

When I see commercial or otherwise, pro photographers waving smartphones at their subjects, maybe I’ll change my mind...! ( or take up jigsaw puzzles instead...).
dcash29 13 2.3k England
27 Mar 2019 10:47PM

Quote:A device like this must surely be the last nail in the coffin for compact cameras................. or is it?

Depends if you can see the screen with the reflections.
franken Plus
16 4.9k 4 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2019 11:31AM

Quote:
Quote:A device like this must surely be the last nail in the coffin for compact cameras................. or is it?

Depends if you can see the screen with the reflections.

I've tried taking images many times with various phones and as mentioned above, it's difficult in bright sunshine due to reflections. My carry everywhere camera is a Panasonic compact that has the benefit of a viewfinder.
28 Mar 2019 4:59PM
I personally have two smartphones (with 4.7" and 6.3" screens), both of which have reasonable cameras, but I don't use these devices at all for taking photos and I carry a Canon G9X II pretty much everywhere I go. The G9X has a decent enough 1" sensor but no viewfinder so, in that sense, a smartphone is theoretically direct competition.

My own take on this is ergonomics. I think current smartphones with their wafer-thin bodies (however large the screen) have pretty awful handling for photography. That is my principal problem with them and I don't see that changing any time soon.... or indeed ever. The push is towards thinner and thinner phones.

altitude50 15 15.2k United Kingdom
28 Mar 2019 5:48PM
I sometimes wonder, do mobile phone forums test large, big bodied cameras? (Cameras with no phones in them!)
28 Mar 2019 7:54PM

Quote:I sometimes wonder, do mobile phone forums test large, big bodied cameras? (Cameras with no phones in them!)

Why would they, if there’s no phone integrated....?

...but an interesting concept....love to see the reaction of folk if I hoisted the Nikon D300 to my ear and started talking...WinkWink....but then maybe they’d note the anorack, vacuum flask and woolie hat and steer a clear path around...for some reason....Tongue
29 Mar 2019 2:06AM

Quote:I sometimes wonder, do mobile phone forums test large, big bodied cameras? (Cameras with no phones in them!)

As some may have noted the sale of cameras of all types has been on a downward path for the past few years.

The use of "proper" cameras for amateur photography will soon be seem a bit quaint and quirky. Moreover a device you don't own unless you also own a free bus pass! Wink
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Mar 2019 9:40AM
In much the same way as photography waved goodbye to the 35mm sensor...........oh hang on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.