So Tragic

roxpix 16 2.2k 11 Scotland
2 Jun 2009 5:34PM
Definitely an irrational act, as mentioned I wonder to their mindset when planning this

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
2 Jun 2009 5:41PM
Why irrational? I think it's impossible to judge other people's actions like that. Especially in a situation that thank God most of us will never be in.
pennyspike 16 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2009 5:42PM
It is virtually impossible to make sensible decisions when suffering the pain of grief. I'm sure most of us can totally empathise with the emotions that led them to do it.

I know what it is like to lose a child and couldn't have got through it without the love and support of friends. (Family are just too close to the pain.) 30th anniversary this year and there are still a few raw ends but we are so lucky to have a daughter, grandchildren, a love of life & one another.

Edit, I've just seen roxpix's post and want to say that for them I'm sure the decision felt totally rational.
2 Jun 2009 5:58PM
Thats absolutely tragic Sad
2 Jun 2009 6:04PM

Quote:Why irrational? I think it's impossible to judge other people's actions like that. Especially in a situation that thank God most of us will never be in.

I donít mean this to sound cruel but I donít feel empathy or sadness for the family, these are emotions being felt by those they left behind

This course of action is so far removed from my understanding that I can only speculate on their agreed belief system that would drive the couple to conclude they had no alternative but to do what they did.

Thatís why I call it irrational because I can, in-fact I have to because thatís my belief system
Fishnet 15 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2009 6:11PM
To them, joining their child was the rational thing to do, your response would seem irrational to them.

Who is to say who is right?
2 Jun 2009 6:35PM

Quote:To them, joining their child was the rational thing to do, your response would seem irrational to them.

Who is to say who is right?

Exactly Anna, I was asked by another poster why I said irrational

Maybe there was a misunderstanding, to me Ďirrationalí means without ones usual coherence, clarity of thought, or reasoning. Iíve already indicated I didnít know them so yes this may be totally rational for them

But for me, joining their child was not the rational thing to do and I suspect a large portion of society (otherwise this would be deemed usual behaviour after the death of a loved one) they did however believe it was they only thing they could do at that moment
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2009 10:10PM
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2009 10:20PM
Seems quite rational to me - if your first thought every morning is a crushing grief and that stays with you every minute of the day. Ending the misery seems perfectly reasonable AFAICS
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
2 Jun 2009 10:24PM
Really sad story, but flippin heck, why are people writing messages to dead people they didn't even know on a web site ?
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
2 Jun 2009 10:27PM
Why not? Maybe it helps someone.
jondf 13 2.8k
2 Jun 2009 10:29PM
This will have struck a chord around the euthanasia discussions going on at the moment. To my mind, if they wanted to take their lives than that's a matter for them. I don't think they had any other children so that wouldn't have been a contributory factor in their decision, yet pictures of the child show an alert and lively little chap which probably made it all the more heartbreaking for his mum and dad when he went. I think this story helps us to put aspects of our own lives in proper perspective.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.