ADVERTISEMENT
Take Control of Your Digital Life with Mylio Photos: Try It; It’s FREE

So Where Now For The Post Office?

jondf Avatar
jondf 17 2.8k
24 Jun 2021 8:54AM
The high Street giant's disastrous charge into the appeal court after presiding over the ruination of hundreds of sub-postmasters has been labelled as an attempted defence of the indefensible. Be interested to hear thoughts of contributors here on the UK's biggest ever miscarriage of justice.
silverscot Avatar
silverscot 10 571 Scotland
25 Jun 2021 11:00AM
Trying to cut their losses on this. But beggars belief that nobody thought to check the new system. For that many discrepancies to appear so soon after new computer software installed should have rung warning bells
George.
thewilliam2 Avatar
thewilliam2 6 1.7k United Kingdom
25 Jun 2021 2:32PM
Maybe the bean counters have made the Post Office aware of the potential cost of their actions during the Horizon era.

That could make the cost of an Appeal seem good value for money!
keithh Avatar
keithh 19 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Jun 2021 4:57PM
960 convictions and a suicide don't add up to a software roll out.
jondf Avatar
jondf 17 2.8k
3 Jul 2021 12:43PM
Surprised there weren't more comments on this one. Personally, I've been in a state of some anger since the Post Office's appalling behaviour became common knowledge after 40-odd postmasters' unlawful convictions were were overturned at the Court of Appeal. And bear in mind, it was the Post Office doing the appealing against an earlier court ruling. So now we have the great and the (not so) good wringing their hands proclaiming 'it must never happen again' - lol ....as if!
gcarth Avatar
gcarth 19 4.3k 1 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2021 2:56PM

Quote:Surprised there weren't more comments on this one. Personally, I've been in a state of some anger since the Post Office's appalling behaviour became common knowledge after 40-odd postmasters' unlawful convictions were were overturned at the Court of Appeal. And bear in mind, it was the Post Office doing the appealing against an earlier court ruling. So now we have the great and the (not so) good wringing their hands proclaiming 'it must never happen again' - lol ....as if!
You are right to be angry about this appalling miscarriage of justice. I feel angry about this and the many other appalling miscarriages of justice that seem to be happening with ever increasing frequency. It seems to me the Justice system has gone the same way as the rest of the political and corporate cesspit of corruption.
Julian Assange is still banged up in Belmarsh on trumped up charges by the US and UK establishment for which he is not simply guilty.
Intelligence operatives infiltrating legal protest movements have committed serious offences and yet get away with it.
Now, under new rules, they are blatantly allowed to break the law.

I don't trust authority at any level and I believe we should demand that anyone in authority should be made accountable for their actions.
This is simply not happening.

jondf Avatar
jondf 17 2.8k
4 Jul 2021 7:04AM

Quote: I don't trust authority at any level and I believe we should demand that anyone in authority should be made accountable for their actions.
This is simply not happening

After the Post Office's appeal was rejected, Paul Marshall, the barrister acting for sub-postmasters, said in a speech to students at the University of Law - "The Post Office’s behaviour has destroyed peoples’ lives. I have provided the links to two podcasts by The Guardian newspaper on my former client [and sub postmaster] Janet Skinner’s experience. That her story reduced the journalist interviewing her to tears says enough.
You might weep too, but weep for English justice."
Marshall's revealing and expertly written speech can be read here
jondf Avatar
jondf 17 2.8k
4 Jul 2021 8:54AM

Quote: And bear in mind, it was the Post Office doing the appealing against an earlier court ruling.

My apologies. It appears that in this particular case the appeal referred to concerned the quashing of sub-postmasters' earlier convictions and that subsequent to Justice Fraser's earlier judgement, the Post Office didn't contest the majority of appeals in this particular case

Login

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join for free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.