Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

soft box vs umbrella softbox

minniema 12 48 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2010 7:38PM
Have been looking at Elemental lights and working out my dream combination of the Genesis mkII lights and can't decide between the normal softboxes and the umbrella softboxes? So my question to all you good people which is better and why? I will be using my lights for portraits if that helps.
Thanks in advance
BigRick 16 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2010 11:34AM

Quote:Have been looking at Elemental lights and working out my dream combination of the Genesis mkII lights and can't decide between the normal softboxes and the umbrella softboxes? So my question to all you good people which is better and why? I will be using my lights for portraits if that helps.
Thanks in advance

do you mean the shoot through umbrellas?
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
10 Jul 2010 11:41AM
I suspect this is what is being referred to and I must admit that I'm very tempted at that price!

I have shoot through brollies and reflector brollies so am unsure whether the addition of this to my collection would be useful. The softbox I have is huge so admittedly spends much of its time in the spare room!
BigRick 16 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2010 11:47AM
i see.... not seen them before. Smile
User_Removed 12 718 9 England
10 Jul 2010 12:02PM
Get neither, buy a beauty dish, you'll never regret it Wink

Edit Change of heart. 15? Buy 2 of them Grin
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
10 Jul 2010 12:09PM
I'll go out for a few hours and then think again this evening! What I really need is someone other than myself to chuck in front of the camera!
User_Removed 12 718 9 England
10 Jul 2010 12:20PM
15 though, what have you got to lose, except a measly 15 squids, even im tempted and i dont even own studio lighting.

Yet Wink
minniema 12 48 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2010 2:14PM
i know they look really good and am thinking that i would be able to use them with my flashguns as well!!
Late 11 9
12 Jul 2010 4:12AM
Umbrella boxes work fine from a little distance, but you can't use them very close because the flash head and shaft get in the way. Plus you get a reflection of the head in the catchlights. Very quick to put up though, and cheap Smile
arhb 14 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2010 1:37PM
What you need to consider is how much light you will lose, moreso with a speedlite/flashgun, by using a diffuser on the front of the brolly to gain a softer light. I think that silver brollies(without diffuser) are about the simplest way to broaden a light source, whist retaining as much power as possible, and again, moreso with a speedlite/flashgun, due to the flashgun design.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
12 Jul 2010 2:19PM
I've got one - I won it on a monday night challenge - used it with the studio lights mostly, it's fine. Works well for strobist stuff too - tough has to be close to the model and not too bright as it does sap the power a bit.

well worth getting

they're also very very portable

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.