Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Software for editing RAW?

boyspace 9 26
24 May 2013 3:37PM
I want to shoot in RAW but I only have Photoshop 3. Can anyone tell me what is the best software to edit raw files in?
Thanks Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb 12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 3:53PM
Did you get the s/ware discs with your canon camera?
There's some s/ware called DPP which you use for converting raw files into tiffs or jpgs.
I think you can d/load the dpp s/ware from canon website.
KenTaylor 15 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 3:55PM
Lightroom for me but no doubt you will end up with a list to muse over.
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
24 May 2013 3:58PM
Another vote for Lightroom, but you're getting a lot more than just a raw converter, which may, or may not be what you need.
Another option and a good starting place is the raw converter that often comes included with your camera.
Gaucho 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 3:59PM
You can download Lightroom free for a month. A lot of photographers use this and nothing else. Adobe Elements is also worth a look.
franken Plus
17 5.1k 4 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 4:02PM
As you are used to Photoshop you could use Photoshop elements and if I remember correctly it has the ability to process raw files from about version 4 onwards. It's currently on version 11.

There is a lot more software with the ability to process raw out there and it would depend on your budget.

Ken
boyspace 9 26
24 May 2013 4:20PM
Thanks Guys...I think I need more than a RAW converter? I need to be able to upload RAW files and edit them. I tryed uploading to my Photoshop but it wouldn't let me.
franken Plus
17 5.1k 4 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 4:44PM

Quote:Thanks Guys...I think I need more than a RAW converter? I need to be able to upload RAW files and edit them. I tryed uploading to my Photoshop but it wouldn't let me.

You need a later version of Photoshop or Photoshop elements.

I use a later version to upload my raw files and to edit them.

Ken
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
24 May 2013 4:44PM
use canon's latest DPP you can download it , then export to photoshop.
boyspace 9 26
24 May 2013 5:17PM

Quote:Thanks Guys...I think I need more than a RAW converter? I need to be able to upload RAW files and edit them. I tryed uploading to my Photoshop but it wouldn't let me.

You need a later version of Photoshop or Photoshop elements.

I use a later version to upload my raw files and to edit them.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Can I ask what version you got? regards Nick
franken Plus
17 5.1k 4 United Kingdom
24 May 2013 6:41PM
I use Elements 9 and the latest version is 11.

Some of the older versions (like mine) don't support all of the latest cameras when using raw although there's a way around that by using the Adobe DNG converter which is free to download from the Adobe site.

Getting the latest version is fine though.

Ken
redhed17 14 870 England
24 May 2013 6:59PM
Is it Photoshop 3, or CS3?

If it is Photoshop 3 then no chance.

If it is CS3, then it has the Adobe Camera Raw plugin included. It may not be able to read the Raw files from your camera, if you camera came to the market after CS4 was released. There are ways around it which costs nothing. Convert your Raw files to DNG files using the DNG to Raw converter, and this should enable you to use the Camera Plugin.

You can download a free RAW converter such as Rawtherapee or Rawhide..

You may be able to access the Manufacturers own free software, Canon's DPP is good, Nikon's is pretty poor. I don't know about any other manufacturers software.

Spending money, you can get a version of the Camera Raw plugin with Elements, but it is not as featured as the one in CS6 or process in Lightroom 4. (which have the same processing engine)

If you're thinking of Lightroom, then LR5 is to be released soon, so you may want to hold off a bit.

And the are other RAW processing software available like Corel Aftershot Pro, (formerly Bibble) Capture One Pro 7, and DXO Optics Pro 8.

Lots of choices, for no, or lots of money. Wink
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 May 2013 8:48PM
Lightroom...Grin

Price & Performance it's hard to find anything better ( Other than the camera makers own RAW handing softwares, Canon & Nikon specifically ).
Wink
25 May 2013 3:54AM
Lightroom is a default for Canon - great piece of software. ACDSee PRO is another one to try. This one is simple with organizing the files and offers more flexibility in darks/lights adjustments. This program also features non-destructive editing -as Lightroom does and opens RAW files directly, without the need for intermediate transformations. Trial is available.
nickthompson 12 158 England
25 May 2013 11:02AM
As suggested earlier, you can convert the file to dng and it can then be opened in camera raw and worked on like a raw file.
Nick

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.