Software for removing duplicate photos

ellrosa56 11 1 United Kingdom
6 May 2014 6:10PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for software for removing duplicate photos from the external drive? I have a Mac but could access them in Windows if necessary.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
6 May 2014 6:21PM
When reviewing back-up software I read some that identify duplicate files for deletion: but you need to be careful that the camera has not created photos at different times with the same filename. Or if you have imported files through different routes it may have assigned similar/same names to different files and you also need to be aware of 'versions' created by editing software.
IIRC Apple have an App that can do the job (Duplicate Detective I think it is called). No matter how safe the literature says it is I would make a back-up first.

Personally I would prefer to leave duplicates on there and improve workflow later. If I did want to delete duplicates I would never trust an app (I am too paranoid) but always do it manually sorting by date (and time!!) and only deleting true duplicates that look the same in the thumbnails.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
6 May 2014 7:02PM
How are you defining a duplicate photo ?
Hugo 14 649 United Kingdom
6 May 2014 9:01PM
http://www.bolidesoft.com/imagecomparer.html

Never used it, so can't comment.
Do have their MP3 / Audio version though, functions ok
sparrowhawk Plus
11 277 2 United Kingdom
6 May 2014 9:23PM
theres i for iphoto i've used it and you can get it for free i believe from the app store
779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
7 May 2014 9:59AM
I've used a program called Duplicate File finder and then Beyond Compare.
seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
7 May 2014 10:11AM
I use Photosweeper - it's Mac native and you can get it from the AppStore. Brilliant program IMO, the best one I've found of its type.
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
7 May 2014 1:52PM
CCleaner Will show and remove duplicate files for you as well as a hoard of other useful tricks the program contains, every home PC should have IMHO, but whadda I know? Wink BTW it's free!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.