Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Software to edit photos

anemone 3 3
20 May 2016 2:00PM
Hello,

I am new in the ephotozine community and the photography world, but I would like to know what programs are you using to edit photos?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

seahawk 12 1.3k United Kingdom
20 May 2016 2:20PM
I do almost all of my editing in Lightroom and recommend it.
User_Removed 5 328 United Kingdom
20 May 2016 3:38PM
We do minimal editing of our stuff and use Picasa (dvelopment now discontinued) and Fastone - both free - as editors.

There's very little we need that we can't do with free software,
KarenFB Plus
13 5.3k 173 England
20 May 2016 4:27PM
Hi Petra, welcome to EPZ! Smile

I use Photoshop Elements 9. This has all I need (and can cope with), but is cheaper then the full Photoshop programme.

I know there are free ones you can download from the internet (Gimp has been recommended to me, but I know there are others), but as I haven't used them I don't know what they are like.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work! Smile
Daffy1 11 381 Ireland
20 May 2016 4:41PM
Lightroom
dark_lord Plus
15 2.3k 576 England
20 May 2016 5:17PM
Welcome from me too.

Conversion from RAW using Lightroom. Photoshop for any further tweaking or heavy processing, including the use of Nik software as a plugin (works in Lightroom and Photoshop).
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
20 May 2016 6:37PM
I use Lightroom and Photoshop, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend ether of the Photoshop Elements versions; virtually all will cover your needs for some time to come, and when you're ready, a move to Lightroom and/or Photoshop is a piece of cake. Welcome to Epz.

Denny
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
20 May 2016 7:38PM
I started out with Elements 2 then on to Lightroom for many years, about 7 versions, but have now moved on to Capture One Pro 9.

If you have a Sony camera then go for Capture One Express ( for Sony ) which is free.

If not, then as suggested Elements is both relatively cheap and easy to use and therefore a good " starter " software.
20 May 2016 7:45PM
Elements is indeed, very popular and plenty powerful enough for most things. I use Corel's Paintshop pro and have done for many years, equally powerful I reckon, so I'm not tempted to the Adobe side..Wink

Welcome to the madhouse...Smile
camay 12 139 3 England
20 May 2016 9:12PM
I started with Elements 4, moved on to Photoshop, found there was very little in it that I couldn't do in Elements and full PS was too expensive, and now use Lightroom for all my work with RAW files and move on to Elements for cloning, etc. I would suggest starting with Elements as there is enough to learn there for a while. I also went to classes in the local college which made a huge difference to the learning curve.
AlexandraSD 7 762 United Kingdom
21 May 2016 3:27PM
Another elements user, along with the nik collection, i do shoot raw but convert in camera if needed (fuji user), tweak in camera too, but elements is all i need really, as well as the curves tool in Viveza (in the nik collection), really missed not having the curves tool in elements, as well as a few other tools.

And welcome Smile
rhol2 8 369 1 United Kingdom
21 May 2016 3:48PM
I use Nikon NX-D if Raw Conversion is needed, then use FastStone Image Viewer for viewing and editing. It' s a free program relatively basic and straightforward to use, but has a good range of editing tools for what it is.
For noise reduction I use Noiseware, again simple to use with a useful range of adjustments
21 May 2016 6:33PM
Lightroom for me.

Welcome to the community

Steve
ttiger8 4 159 United Kingdom
21 May 2016 11:48PM
I'm a Linux user and mostly use Darktable which is sort of an opensource version of lightroom
anemone 3 3
23 May 2016 11:58AM
wow, thank you all for the answers and the warm welcome. So I didnīt know, that there are so many programs to edit photos Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.