Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Software to monitor download volumes ?

JohnHorne 16 1.0k
20 Mar 2007 8:53AM
I am looking for recommendations for software that will monitor the amount of data downloaded from the internet.

I received a message from my ISP that I had exceeded the "fair use" policy last month by downloading over 40Gb of data. Naturally, everyone in the family denies downloading anything other than the odd email. The ISP (Virgin) doesn't offer any way of tracking usage, and neither does the router (3COM ADSL wireless). So I want to install some software on each PC to measure the amount of data transferred.

Characteristics:
- free to download and use;
- can be quite basic (doesn't need to record sites visited, just volumes of data downloaded);
- capable of distinguishing between data downloaded from the internet and data copied across the internal network (my son tried one tool which reported copious amounts of data downloaded when in fact he was copying it from another PC in the house);
- works with Windows XP (would be useful if it works with Windows 98 too, but that isn't essential).

I tried CostAware 1.1.3 but it doesn't seem to work. Regardless of the config options I choose, and despite rebooting, it still insists I haven't downloaded anything. Well - I don't believe that all of ePz's pages are cached on my PC !

Thanks
John
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
20 Mar 2007 8:56AM
Good one John. I'd be interested in something like this to stay ahead of my supplier. Watching with interest!
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
20 Mar 2007 9:05AM
I don't know about you John, But + 40Gb on a home machine is kinda excessive, In 18 months we have only once exceeded our free limit ( 5 Gb ) It's 2 per Gb over that, But on that occasion I had been doing some major updates that involed preety big downloads, and at times there can be as many as 5 machines hooked up, although the normal is 2.

You could have a look around some of the other ISP sites, To see if any of them have advised OR supply links to the software you seek, Also I don't know what Firewall/AV you use but that could be another way, And out there somewhere must be a means of Logging activity.

Good Luck

Vince

Edit: Mornin Mike....
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 9:09AM
saw this recommended but haven't used it myself

here

Edit: although not free is only 15USD
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
20 Mar 2007 9:17AM
Mornin' Vince...

Smile
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
20 Mar 2007 9:34AM
Vince - I agree, 40Gb does seem excessive, which is why I am keen to find out where it is all going ! Fortunately I don't have to pay for overuse - but if it happens again they will "discuss" next steps with me. Can't see that being much of a two-way discussion though.

John (Henchard) - thanks for the link. It says 30 days free trial so I will give it a go. It seems to offer more features than I need, but the screenshot showing usage statistics looks good.

Thanks.
GPTek 14 459 1 England
20 Mar 2007 11:26AM
John try Here for NetMeter. Although quite old now, it monitors upload & download has counters that can be reset and can provide daily, weekly and monthly reports. Oh and it's free too!!

HTH - Geoff

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.