Solar eclipse next week

Ross_D 6 841 1 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2015 7:32PM
Just wondered if anybody knows if it's safe to view the eclipse next week through a Lee Big Stopper (or equivalent).
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
14 Mar 2015 8:07PM
Somebody started a thread on this a couple days ago.
14 Mar 2015 8:42PM
Yes, I had a look thanks. The jury seems to be out as to whether or not a Big Stopper can be used. Probably won't matter anyway as the weather will be crap!
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2015 9:41PM
The glasses that were in Radio Times or wherever last solar eclipse were incredibly dark, darker than welder masks. You could look at full sun in them as long you wanted. If you can't look at full sun through big stopper then I wouldn't risk it with eclipse especially if you are magnifying the image of the sun. Your eyes are so precious, more precious than the photo you may get.

14 Mar 2015 10:12PM
Big stopper will not be adequate. Look at getting some proper solar filter material.
14 Mar 2015 11:14PM
No photographic filter is suitable for the purpose. Astronomy shops have the right stuff, come and talk to the guys. Dense electric arc welder's filter may do, but is too uneven to be used for photography. I tried photographing Venus transit a couple of years ago through the welder's #11 filter with the results not really worth showing.

Remember-whatewer you do, use live view mode and camera screen, better tilted or with some cloth over your head and camera body. Otherwise you put in grave danger your most precious thing - your eyesight. The main damaging factor-infrared radiation is not visible and does irrepairable damage to the eye retina even without you being aware of that. So-safety first!
Paintman Plus
14 1.4k 177 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2015 8:18AM
48973_1426407199.jpg

This is the only thing that'll work when looking at the sun. Be safe, have funSmile
15 Mar 2015 4:13PM
Thanks for replies ..........I'm just hoping for a thin layer of cloud which will act as a filter.
16 Mar 2015 10:44AM
Are you willing to give your camera sensor and your own eyesight at the whim of clouds? I would not. And thin layer of cloud will sure kill the main spectacle of the show - the solar corona! You better do it right and hope for the best weather - or watch in on the Internet. I am pretty sure there will be more than one live webcast of it.
thewilliam 12 6.1k
16 Mar 2015 11:06AM
One useful dodge is to project the image onto a screen.

A pinhole camera with its aperture of about f250 will let through plenty of light if you don't have a really long lens, like a 1000mm.
themak 7 1.0k Scotland
16 Mar 2015 11:45AM

Quote: And thin layer of cloud will sure kill the main spectacle of the show - the solar corona

Anyone in Britain expecting to see the corona will be disappointed.
davidburleson 13 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2015 1:10PM
I was having a look at some examples and found these on google images. Pretty neat idea:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=photographing+the+solar+eclipse+timelapse&espv=2&biw=1264&bih=1321&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HycIVeTCHZfYaueXgbAB&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

It seems those further north will have a better chance. It would be pretty cool to see some of these on ePz.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.