Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Solution wanted for Digitising Transparancies

24 Mar 2020 7:46PM
Wanted -

Anyone have a good condition slide viewer light box for sale please. Looking for an A3 size light box maybe. I'm about to begin digitising my 35mm slides.

Thanks
Jeff

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa Plus
9 914 1 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2020 9:51AM
I had a quick look on ebay - and discovered they now make LED light boxes which seem petty cool! - link here:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=9&pub=5575017849&toolid=10001&campid=5338600580&customid=&icep_uq=A3+Lightbox
25 Mar 2020 10:17AM
Thank you very much Joshwa. Will look through the website.
Tianshi_angie 5 2.9k England
25 Mar 2020 11:36AM
I made my own - using a drawer, I bought a string of LED lights from Amazon and I had, fortunately, a spare piece of glass which fitted over the top. Sprayed this with 'frosting' and it works fine for transparencies.
25 Mar 2020 11:40AM
Hey, great idea Tianshi_angie - thanks.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
25 Mar 2020 11:48AM

Quote:I made my own - using a drawer, I bought a string of LED lights from Amazon and I had, fortunately, a spare piece of glass which fitted over the top. Sprayed this with 'frosting' and it works fine for transparencies.

And the CRI of this string of LED lights?

25 Mar 2020 11:54AM
Don't know - but it works for transparencies - it's pretty bright!
25 Mar 2020 12:28PM
It is 14m long, lights encased in a plastic tube, and spaced about 8cms apart and described as Ice White. No CRI given. I am not a professional photographer - just a hobbyist - and this suited my purposes beautifully.
25 Mar 2020 12:38PM
I'm a photographer but not a very good DIY person - what is CRI ? and what is 14m long ? It sounds like a very good set up no doubt. The LED tubes that you bought off Amazon, what length were they please ? And I guess you screwed them into the inner side of the drawer ?
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
25 Mar 2020 1:09PM
CRI stands for Colour Rendering Index and is a measure of how accurately colours will reproduce when using that illuminant, a high CRI means colours can reproduce more accurately, LED strings from Amazon will likely have a low CRI with parts of the spectrum missing with possibly poor reproduction of colours... Angies idea will indeed work but look for LED's with as high a CRI as is possible.

The 14 metre will refer to the length of the string of LED's.

An alternative is to tape your transparencies to a north facing window on an overcast day making sure that the transparency is only backlit by the sky.
25 Mar 2020 1:20PM
The lights are encased in plastic tubing which is 14metres long. And because the tubing can be shaped it is coiled into the drawer - the plug also goes into the drawer and is removed when I need to plug it in - the length of the attached wire is plenty long enough to reach a nearby socket.

These images were taken using the lights to give back lighting.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.