Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Some interesting ebay scams around - again

21 Jan 2007 3:47PM
While recently selling some photo kit on ebay, some interesting potential scammers lurked my way, so if anyone else is selling or thinking of doing so these warnings may help.

1. There is the buyer with no feedback (or low) or who never bid before person, having been registered for 6+months AND who do not live in UK, US or Canada so Paypal seller protection will not apply. They also refused to confirm name & address and payment method when asked. Set your buye requirements accordingly, and decided if Paypal is the best option for you.

2. Those asking for the serial number of a lens or body. Why? It has no relevance in a sale, unless they have had a similar item stolen. My view is that having this info can help perpetrate a fraud.

3. Bidders from Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, etc) with low feedback (under 20) or who have only bought items under 20.

4. Potential bidders asking if the item is the same as in the link provided by them. This directs you to another ebay sign-on screen where the unwitting will enter their ID and password allowing account to be hi-jacked.

5. There are the usual odd emails and sob stories and can they have it cheap, etc

Having people try and dupe me has also brought out some interesting facts, such as cancelling bids and blocking bidders where people cannot be verified or are in countries where the seller would have no protection. Dont be afraid to block and cancel.

One of the problems is that I find being paid through Paypal convenient yet that, and ebay to not offer enough protection levels to the seller. Protection applies to UK, US and Canada, and there are many other requirements to meet if a claim is to be fulfilled. IMHO it is weighted in the buyers favour and the fraudster.

I have learnt that in scams, is likely the bidder will pay via PayPal in what seems a 'normal' transaction, you post the goods, they claim non-receipt and start a claimback in PayPal, and because you cant prove signature on delivery or destination country has no seller protection or the address is unconfirmed, you lose the equipment and cash, learning a hard lesson in the process.

I spoke to PayPal, and they said that a seller is within his/her rights to reject the paypal transaction, and ask the winner for an alternative method of payment such as cheque, bank transfer, etc Anyone been down this road - what happened???

What are the experiences of others in buying or selling?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bikerbob 18 179
21 Jan 2007 7:15PM
I have had a couple of scam emails from 2 people America asking for money for items which I did not bid on these invoices look perfectly genuine the same as you get after a wining bid and pay thro paypal they even have a link which if you used it would give them your paypal details. I contacted ebay and they asked for copies of the demands and within 24 hours they contacted me and said that these were spoof emails and to ignore them and also not to click on any links within them, also to contact them if I recieved anymore and to date I have not had anymore.
Britman 14 1.7k England
21 Jan 2007 8:39PM
I've never been scammed through ebay yet. Good practice by me and good fortune. I'll never click any link in an email that is supposed to come from ebay and even if it does I'll type in the direct url.

I accept paypal but only ever deliver to UK addresses verified with paypal. If people want it sent to somewhere else then tough they get a refund and i don't send a thing.
elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
21 Jan 2007 8:47PM
On my first use of ebay I failed to get a Apple note book (reached just short of the new price for 6 month old model, some people are right pilloxs). I had an email from a nice chap in Italy, nice until I said I didn't want his note book. He told me he had already posted it (to what address?) and wanted payment. I told him to get stuffed, he threatened all sorts of things if I didn't post him 600, including a hit man he knew in the CIA.

I have never bothered with ebay since.
Little Jo Plus
18 2.3k United Kingdom
21 Jan 2007 8:58PM
Should they not re-name themselves 'Scammers Anonymous'?

I've never been tempted to consider Ebay as a buyer or a seller. The site seems to be an open marketplace for dodgey goods and the protection is not as good as is made out. They've been on Watchdog on quite a few occasions.

Jo
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
21 Jan 2007 9:06PM
I'm very careful about my T&Cs. I'm careful about my refund policy and I spell it out (e.g. if they say it has been received damaged I want a picture before I issue the refund), I always ask for people paying by Paypal that they have Seller protection, and specify a particular level of feedback depending on what it is. I offer Paypal, postal order or bank transfer for the UK, USA and Canada, ask for bank transfer in Euros from Europe, and bank transfer in either US Dollars, British pounds or Euros from anywhere else. If I'm only selling to the UK I block anyone who bids from outside the UK.

I always always always send it either by registered post in the UK or International Signed For for anywhere else so that I have the proof that it was sent, so as to comply with Paypal / Post Office requirements for compensation.

I've not had a problem yet (touch wood) and I always set up a friendly dialogue with the Buyer to let them know when it's going to be sent, how I've packed it if it's a complicated package, and I always include a little extra something for them with a note saying thanks for their business.

There was a chap some time back who didn't have seller protection and wanted to use Paypal. I told him I was sorry but as I'd said in my T&Cs any Paypal payments had to have seller protection. This went on for about a week or so before he finally sorted it out, and he wouldn't use a bank transfer so my antennae were twitching. Finally he got seller protection by getting himself verified and everything was fine. But I did stick to my guns by saying I understood etc etc but that I couldn't let go of the goods until I had received payment and it had cleared. It's only fair enough! I was so patient with him. And the so-and-so never left a word of thanks Wink

I've not bought or sold on eBay for quite some time now but they're the basics I use.
21 Jan 2007 10:23PM
As 'elowes' says, there are some dumb bidders on ebay. It's easy to get embroiled in a bidding war.

I regularly watch items sold via Canon's refurb site and a few weeks ago someone paid 780 for a refurbed 24-70L lens. You can buy them new from Wilkinsons for that and just 40 more from Calumet. Best bargain was a refurb 70-200IS lens for 1018.

I also think SuziBlue is spot on with stipulating your own T&Cs when selling. Many people, including me until last week, had the impression that if you are an established seller with the Paypal protection symbol that the protection criteria is very rigid when claiming end excludes all EU countries except UK.
cambirder 16 7.2k England
21 Jan 2007 10:58PM
Ive never had a single problem in the 70 odd transaction as both a buyer and seller. The trick is to know what the hell you are doing. The vast majority of those scammed are either the naive or greedy, often both.

I only list my sales to the UK but if I'm asked I will ship to Europe provided the buyer's FB checks out.

I'm also willing to buy from total newbies with low or zero feedback, cos so many others avoide them the prices are usually lower. All you need do is ask a few questions, if I like the answers I get back I bid.

Quote:I regularly watch items sold via Canon's refurb site and a few weeks ago someone paid 780 for a refurbed 24-70L lens

Thats no surprise they are Ebays #1 shiilers. It's not Canon's site by the way, its a bunch of American shysters called Digital River.
Britman 14 1.7k England
21 Jan 2007 11:32PM

Quote:Thats no surprise they are Ebays #1 shiilers. It's not Canon's site by the way, its a bunch of American shysters called Digital River.

Now is this digital river the same as digitalriv?
If so I'm surprised by your comment, I've never had any trouble with them.
jimthistle73 16 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2007 12:37AM
Britman - presume you mean digitalrev who are totally above board - I've had several happy transactions with them.

In general, I reckon eBay is a great place to buy, but recently, a crap place to sell. Agree with the earlier post re the site being weighted in favour of the buyer.

Until last year I had over 500 succesful transactions (with the odd exception) and most of these were sales. I'm now loathe to sell as the last few sales have been a bleedin nightmare; non paying bidders, paypal refusing to co-operate, total lack of comms etc, etc.

The worst of it is that whenever there's any kind of a problem, it's invariably the sellers account that's frozen, regardless of the facts of the matter.

Jaded, from Sunderland.
bikerbob 18 179
22 Jan 2007 1:56PM
My main gripe about ebay is the people who put items up for auction and then at the end of their description they put a proviso on that they reserve the right to end the auction at anytime as they have the goods advertised elsewhere,to me that is not an auction. I am surprised that ebay allow this as any one who uses it knows that you have various options open to you to make sure that your items sell at a reasonable price such as buy now, reserve price or starting price. It seems to me that it is totally unfair to allow people to bid on something and then just when they think they stand a chance of wining the item it is withdrawn. This practice allows someone to put items up for auction without paying the extra fees for the buy now, reserve price etc. if it does not reach the price they want they just withdraw using their get out clause. I have complained to ebay and they said they would look into it but it still goes on.
22 Jan 2007 5:32PM

Quote:Ive never had a single problem in the 70 odd transaction as both a buyer and seller

I knew I should not have pasted that comment. My light tent has not arrived from Calumet (they cocked up my payment).

I bought a Sigma 150mm Macro & 1.4x converter from a seller in Italy today, payed with Paypal, only to have my payment refunded within 2 mins, together with a request to pay into his other PP account so he can avoid PP fees.

I've politely declined his offer on the grounds that

a) as I'm funding it by CC he will have to upgrade his personal account so will still have to pay fees

b) If I do that I lose my PP buyer protection.

That was 6 hours ago, no further response from him, so I don't think I will be getting this lens.
Britman 14 1.7k England
29 Jan 2007 12:23AM
found this interesting even though I've known about for ages.

Shill bidding
jken 14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2007 8:34AM

Quote:While recently selling some photo kit on ebay, some interesting potential scammers lurked my way, so if anyone else is selling or thinking of doing so these warnings may help.

1. There is the buyer with no feedback (or low) or who never bid before person, having been registered for 6+months AND who do not live in UK, US or Canada so Paypal seller protection will not apply. They also refused to confirm name & address and payment method when asked. Set your buye requirements accordingly, and decided if Paypal is the best option for you.

2. Those asking for the serial number of a lens or body. Why? It has no relevance in a sale, unless they have had a similar item stolen. My view is that having this info can help perpetrate a fraud.

3. Bidders from Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, etc) with low feedback (under 20) or who have only bought items under 20.

4. Potential bidders asking if the item is the same as in the link provided by them. This directs you to another ebay sign-on screen where the unwitting will enter their ID and password allowing account to be hi-jacked.

5. There are the usual odd emails and sob stories and can they have it cheap, etc

Having people try and dupe me has also brought out some interesting facts, such as cancelling bids and blocking bidders where people cannot be verified or are in countries where the seller would have no protection. Dont be afraid to block and cancel.

One of the problems is that I find being paid through Paypal convenient yet that, and ebay to not offer enough protection levels to the seller. Protection applies to UK, US and Canada, and there are many other requirements to meet if a claim is to be fulfilled. IMHO it is weighted in the buyers favour and the fraudster.

I have learnt that in scams, is likely the bidder will pay via PayPal in what seems a 'normal' transaction, you post the goods, they claim non-receipt and start a claimback in PayPal, and because you cant prove signature on delivery or destination country has no seller protection or the address is unconfirmed, you lose the equipment and cash, learning a hard lesson in the process.

I spoke to PayPal, and they said that a seller is within his/her rights to reject the paypal transaction, and ask the winner for an alternative method of payment such as cheque, bank transfer, etc Anyone been down this road - what happened???

What are the experiences of others in buying or selling?

Someone tried to scam me with your point 4.

Another one to watch for is when the seller changes the payment method after the item has been won, they ask you to do a direct transfer to their bank account. I was buying a brand new legitimate ipod as a present for my wife, the seller changed the payment method after i'd won the ipod. The bank was based in Beijing but the seller was in Europe, i smelt a rat and informed ebay through their spoof system. All bids where luckily cancelled. It tuned out that the seller's account in Europe had been hacked by a guy in Beijing.

john
29 Jan 2007 11:05AM

Quote:I bought a Sigma 150mm Macro & 1.4x converter from a seller in Italy today, payed with Paypal, only to have my payment refunded within 2 mins, together with a request to pay into his other PP account so he can avoid PP fees.

My faith is restored, diplomatically pointed out the problem I had with that, resent payment, lens + adaptor arrived this morning.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.