Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PortraitPro 17 with Background Editing Out Now! EXTRA 10% OFF code EPZRS17

Something's Up

jondf 11 2.7k
12 Jul 2017 7:52PM
Chilcott allegedly damns Blair in BBC interview, Trump's son allegedly encourages treasonable response from Russia, Boris allegedly invites the EU to go and whistle...

What the hell is going on !?!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

12 Jul 2017 8:24PM
Don't worry! Such powerful people are fireproof.
Willpower 6 450 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2017 8:56PM
150286_1499889384.jpg

SmileSmileSmileTongueTongue
12 Jul 2017 9:21PM
...and Miller (elected by who..?) Blair (no longer an elected politician) Branson, (elected by who..?) Farron, Cable, Corbyn (non- P.M.) are all campaigning in our best interests bless them...
JackAllTog Plus
8 4.9k 58 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2017 11:49PM
Has the world run away with itself; on auto pilot with self important well out of touch people sitting on big missiles, but swayed buy affluent interest groups with single issue agendas.
When Boaty McBoatface for a laugh drives the search for life enhancing research into a cul-de-sac of social media stupidity.
Who really wants to let us have safety and security, with effective lives that are interesting and leave us feeling fulfilled and able to add back to the greater good.
I sometime wonder if we have just grown up to be bigger children with no aspiration to anything beyond impressing our immediate peer group with one up dinner stories.
We need a new idea, a heroic leader, an idealism that takes us out of this mundane thrashing between selfishness and anger.
Carabosse 14 41.0k 269 England
12 Jul 2017 11:58PM

Quote: Has the world run away with itself; on auto pilot with self important well out of touch people sitting on big missiles

Yes, it's back to the 50s,60s,70s and 80s.

Pretty much back to normal really! Tongue

Quote: We need a new idea, a heroic leader,

Germany thought they had those in the 30s/40s.................................
bluesandtwos 8 280 1 England
13 Jul 2017 8:53AM
I blame the telly ( I don't have one Smile), the newspapers ( haven't bought one for decades) social media ( I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one/ them Smile). Until they promote at least some of the good stuff in life, and promote the true selfless heroes of the world, not mindless celebities who are famous(?) for who knows what, or overpaid, ego inflated people who play games or kick balls about, then I refuse to subscribe.

I suggest a website, Futurism.com which daily updates on all the good inventions and discoveries in the world, the true heroes, working to make our world a better place. Working on medicines, cures for many of the evils of the world, food shortage, clean water shortage, almost free energy, all the good stuff.

Help your families and friends and the community around you, if we all do that eventually it will spread. And yes, I am an OAP Hippy! BlushGrin

I enjoyed writing that!Smile

Dave
keith selmes 14 7.3k 1 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2017 9:21AM

Quote:I suggest a website, Futurism.com which daily updates on all the good inventions and discoveries in the world,
If you knew what social media was, you could it yourself. All you need is a news feed and a facebook page. What you don't get from regular news outlets and press releases, you can pick up from Twitter or Google Plus.
13 Jul 2017 9:33AM

Quote:When Boaty McBoatface for a laugh drives the search for life enhancing research into a cul-de-sac of social media stupidity.
They actually named the ship "Sir David Attenborough" which to me is an effingly stupid and dull name for a research vessel. But it's not all bad news. They named a neat little yellow submarine "Boaty McBoatface". It's a robot sub, and has successfully completed it's first mission, collecting "unprecedented data". A more fitting emblem of the future world and the technology we're using.

https://www.livescience.com/59635-boaty-mcboatface-antarctic-mission.html
13 Jul 2017 9:44AM

Quote:Has the world run away with itself; on auto pilot with self important well out of touch people sitting on big missiles, but swayed buy affluent interest groups with single issue agendas.

We need a new idea, a heroic leader, an idealism that takes us out of this mundane thrashing between selfishness and anger.

History has shown that this is a short-term gain. So many new leaders and new movements have proved a disappointment. Communism was supposed to cure the ills of the world but Russia suffered 70 years under a series of dictators who kept the people in a state of serfdom. Then we have the Democratic People's Republic of Korea under King Kim Fatty III as the modern example. Even Christianity was hijacked by powerful interests who saw it as a good way to control the populace.
13 Jul 2017 9:50AM

Quote:I sometime wonder if we have just grown up to be bigger children with no aspiration to anything beyond impressing our immediate peer group with one up dinner stories.
Not most of us, but it does sound like some of our politicians.

Quote:We need a new idea, a heroic leader, an idealism that takes us out of this mundane thrashing between selfishness and anger.
Some people think that's Nigel Farage.
Others think it's Corbyn.
Yet others yearn for someone to lead them back into the EU.

I think we can do without heroic leaders. Just somebody vaguely competent and a little bit inspirational would do.

gcarth 13 2.9k 1 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2017 1:01PM

Quote:I think we can do without heroic leaders. Just somebody vaguely competent and a little bit inspirational would do.

I think we just need a government: We don't actually have a government. Sad
As in the US, our governing politicians are on a gravy train and they are simply at the beck and call of big business.
Jeremy Corbyn may not be the Messiah but the attack dogs of the big business backed Tory media have relentlessly portrayed him to be the devil incarnate.
As I've said so many times before, I think the problem is basically about greed and the desperate need for the ruling elite to hold on to their money and power (History seems to bear this out).
It seems to me the only way forward is to divorce politics from big money, as far as that is possible, by banning donations to political parties of any colour - and in fairness, that would also mean banning Trade Union donations.
In my opinion, the elephant in the room, as always, is the neo-liberal disaster capitalism that still rules the world. This "Free Market" system has been enforced on the world, not because it works for the people as a whole, but because it works for a tiny elite that enforce this mad dogma: And of course, there is a massive media bias that supports this, either deliberately or unwittingly. There have been research projects that bear this out (as if it needs to borne out for anyone who steps back and actually examines this issue).
The establishment are scared witless in case Corbyn and his followers gain power and that's why they attack him with such relentless and often disgusting smears: That said, I can understand those who find one or two of Corbyn's policies a bit controversial but surely he's heading in the right general direction.
My view is that the "right general direction" is one that puts people before profit and speaks for not just the super-rich class, middle class or working class but all classes. In theory, I think the Lib-Dems should be best able to represent that aim. However, in reality, they seem to be a very damaged party these days and of course they are hardly free of big business and right wing influences. That's why the Greens and Labour (not New Labour) need to be listened to, in my opinion.
Tim Farron, I'm sure was well-meaning but I think it is a great shame that Charles Kennedy is no longer with us. He was a true Liberal and was against the Iraq War and needless austerity cuts.
JackAllTog Plus
8 4.9k 58 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2017 1:28PM

Quote: I suggest a website, Futurism.com

https://www.weebly.com/home/ have a free website builder and you might get something like https://www.Futurism.weebly.com

Quote:
There have been research projects that bear this out

I'n genuinely interested in a path from 'here' to somewhere else, but not any path, and i don't think JeremyC has a strategic workable view on getting there either.
Like you i thought the LimDems offered realism but have failed to stand up to the task.
I think the conservatives offer most stability with some gradual change.

All parties though seem to be failing in building contributing communities, preparing people for work/contribution, managing global corporations and looking after the elderly in society.
gcarth 13 2.9k 1 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2017 2:24PM

Quote:I'n genuinely interested in a path from 'here' to somewhere else, but not any path, and i don't think JeremyC has a strategic workable view on getting there either.
Well, I reckon you have a point. Though I like most of JC's ideas, I agree that he needs to spell out better how he intends to achieve his aims.
He says his policies are costed but if that is the case, why isn't he able to convince the electorate - is it just the media bias - or is he raising people's expectations just a little too much? I don't know...

Quote:I think the conservatives offer most stability with some gradual change.

We will have to agree to differ on that one! Wink
However, I do agree that gradual change is the ideal way to change society - that's what Gorbachev wanted for Russia - until the US inflicted "Shock and Awe" economics and Yeltsin on him! Sad
I really think the world situation now is so bad that quite possibly violent change is inevitable almost everywhere.

Quote:All parties though seem to be failing in building contributing communities, preparing people for work/contribution, managing global corporations and looking after the elderly in society.

We can agree on that! Smile
Sadly, I think people power is the only thing that can shift the Neo-Liberal disaster capitalist status quo because Neo-Liberalism has infected most political parties - (except the Greens Wink).
Trump, Bush and the Clintons are Neo-Liberals, in my opinion - as are Blair, Thatcher, Cameron and May.
The way I see it, is that people like Bernie Sanders in the US and Jeremy Corbyn in the UK, are the only leading politicians with anything useful to say but there have been and still are massive attempts to shut them down by the media and from within their own parties.
13 Jul 2017 2:41PM
When I first saw Corbyn's proposals, they seemed so far-fetched that not even Dianne Abbott's maths would have found a way to be able to pay for them.

The youngsters are hurting with the double-whammy of student debt and sky-high house prices. Something needs to be done to relieve their pain so Corbyn promised the earth. He would have been safely in No10 before being called upon to deliver so he was probably on safe ground. Had he promised a free Leica or Hasselblad outfit for all registered professional photographers, then even I would have been tempted to vote for him!

I'm not sure where the answer lies.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.