Sony A55, what are the existing problems?

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2011 1:52PM
Yes most of the current hybrid cars are like the A55, there is potential in the idea but the actual implementation falls short and it has been introduced before enough of the technology has been developed for all but a subset of the market. So rather like the Prius compared to the Golf, there are some special conditions where the Prius has the advantage, but for most users a standard golf is the better solution.

Some hybrids do work, I have seen some truck and bus ones that work very well. And the new mild hybrids have a lot of potential to improve all aspects of performance.

A very good analogy and in fact my point, which is for most users keeping to the sony moving mirror range is an advantage but at some future point the EVF equipped models may be better. and it is a shame that Sony did not take the chance to make a hybrid of Contrast and Phase AF, even if it were just a self calibration feature. Perhaps that has been saved for the enthusiast model the A77.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Seddo 9 1
23 Feb 2011 5:37PM
Thincat: Where have you got your info on the a77? I can't seem to find any.

More frustratingly, and probably typical of many people on the verge of upgrading to a new DSLR (or SLT), just as you think you've made your mind up that this is the camera for you someone dangles a new bait in front of you and your decision stalls, again. The wallet slides back into your pocket and then you're left hoping there won't be an a99 (which of course there will be, but hopefully not before I've slapped my credit card on the table and purchased the 77)

Doh!
Thincat 13 616
28 Feb 2011 1:34PM

Quote:Thincat: Where have you got your info on the a77? I can't seem to find any.

There's a lot of information on dpreview - every now and then there's an interview with a Sony exec that gives a few pointers. Most of the info on the A77 is rumour, although it's pretty definite it will come out this year and it's definite it will be EVF. It seems to be probable that it's the replacement for the A700 and that Sony will not be making any more OVF SLRs in the APS-C sensor size, but that may be just general pessimism - or possibly just Canon owners trolling. Have a look at sonyalpharumours.com. A lot of the stuff is pretty fanciful and you have to read between the lines - in particular the rumour that it will be 24Mp, which is unlikely (I hope).

Basically the A77 will be a further development of the A55 with a better EVF (full HD), a better sensor (more MP and better high ISO), more buttons (like the A700) and various problems fixed (the over-heating will be sorted for sure). It's also not going to be that expensive - expect only a couple of hundred more than the A55. It's definitely worth waiting for, but I guess it'll be in short supply till 2012.

Quote:Some hybrids do work, I have seen some truck and bus ones that work very well.

None of them work very well, SM. Electric cars are inherently more efficient than the internal combustion engine, which waste over a third of their energy in heat which is just dissipated from the radiator - although some trucks use the heat to run a heat exchanger that refridgerates their load, not many though. That's partly why electric cars are cheaper to run than petrol/diesel cars and is one of their major attractions. But - and it's a very big but - these savings are an illusion. Firstly the batteries are very expensive and tend to last only a few years - budget on the cost of batteries being about 1000 pa, for which you can buy a lot of petrol/diesel. Secondly, most of the cost of petrol/diesel is government tax while electricity is taxed at 5%. Guess how long that would last for if electric cars became very popular - the govt would have to get their lost revenue back. The other illusion is that they're cleaner. Apart from all the arguments about how much pollution is caused when the electricity is generated, the main problem with these daft cars is that the manufacture of batteries (and their disposal) generates vast amounts of pollution because of the metals and technology involved in their production.

IN any case, the SLTs already have both types of focus on them, don't they - phase detection via the EVF and contrast focus via the LCD. More than enough.
Parky2k2 9 13 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2011 9:07PM
I bought myself an A55 when they came out back in October and have had a very productive 10000 shots out of it now.

I am very much a novice when it comes to cameras and can recommend it for anyone who does not know the ins and outs of camera settings for taking some nice shots.

Battery life is not too bad, I tend to switch the camera off between shots and can fill 2 4gig cards in RAW with plenty of battery left, My sister is a bit more gung ho with hers shooting between 1500 to 4000 pics on one battery (she shoots 10 fps in jpegs), I am sure she will comment on here when she sees the thread.

All round with no other camera to really compare it to in the DSLR world I would recomend it for ease of use and quality of picture it has only rarely disappointed me with results but I am sure that is down to the user not the camera.
2 Oct 2011 6:18AM
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the site and was wondering if you can advise me. I have a new A55 and being a complete novice, I find the camera is fantastic. Photo quality is great.

Just one problem.......

Quite often the menu system, (on all screens), will scroll of its own accord. That is: the items listed in the menus skips from one to the next to the next quickly without me doing anything. It's really annoying and I have tried turning the camera off and waiting before turning it on again, no luck.

Any ideas or is the best option just to take it back to the retailer?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Skier 17 203 China
9 Oct 2011 11:22AM
SafetySteve,

I don't have an A55 but am on my second A700 (read recent forum posts for long and dull story as to why). Previous to that, was a KM7D. Across those and playing around lots recently with other Sony A models (77 included) in stores I have never found this. From the lack of responses, I would suggest no one else has either.

Couple of options:

- try installing the latest firmware again. There may be some kind of problem sitting there.
- check all your buttons...make sure nothing is sticking

However, with the investment made on such a piece of kit I think I would be back in the store with it pretty pronto. It doesn't sound right to me.

One final point - probably worth starting a new forum topic on this type of problem next time. I think this got lost at the bottom of a debate between a couple of members and may well have been ignored by many (thread started in Feb '11). When you need help I'd shout loudly so you get a good response - 6 or 8 days is unusual for a members technical concern to go unresponded to.

Best,

Ben
11 Oct 2011 10:07AM
Thanks Ben, I appreciate your help.
Jabri 8 1 Saudi Arabia
17 Oct 2011 11:30AM
Hey guys, Ive got a sony alpha 55
the problem is with the super steady shot it was avaliable but now its not i dont know why i tried to set the default setting to get it back but still the same issue it cant be selected its blanked could any one help plz
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2011 12:29PM
I guess it could be a hardware failure, but first I would do the full reset. So take out all the batteries (it may have a small watch type one). Leave them out for at least 10 min. Then put them back in, run the factory reset item then re-configure. If it is still missing then contact your dealer as it should still be under warranty.

Oh and check you have the self timer off as it may decide you do not need both at the same time. also try setting it to manual mode (flash off) and set 1/60 as shutter speed and try again. Just in case it is some sort of SW interlock. Not a Sony owner but I hope it helps.
Jpardue84 4 1
25 Dec 2015 7:50PM

Quote:Hi Everyone

I'm new to the site and was wondering if you can advise me. I have a new A55 and being a complete novice, I find the camera is fantastic. Photo quality is great.

Just one problem.......

Quite often the menu system, (on all screens), will scroll of its own accord. That is: the items listed in the menus skips from one to the next to the next quickly without me doing anything. It's really annoying and I have tried turning the camera off and waiting before turning it on again, no luck.

Any ideas or is the best option just to take it back to the retailer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

UPDATE THE FIRMWARE. SAME PROBLEM FIXED IN DEC 2015
daggilarr 3 1
26 Apr 2017 10:09PM
I am new here and have just got myself an A55v. I got it second hand as I wanted to get back into photography after a long, very long break... well apart from snaps an' stuff. I figured this would be a good way to feel my way back in.

Is this a place where I can ask questions about how to use this complex digital device? When I stopped I was using an Olympus OM10, it was nearly new!

kodachrome 8 723
30 Apr 2017 4:08PM
daggilar, bit of a 'culture' shock moving over to a DSLR from a film SLR, but both work on similar principles, such as ISO, Shutter speeds,F/stop, metering and focus. Yo will pick up the basics no doubt quite quickly. If you have the owners manual, or you can down load it, it will give you simple settings to get you started, go from there.There are also some very good lenses out on the market, and good used deals can be found such as the London Camera Exchange.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.