Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Sony A9 C Buttons?

russellsnr 16 246 England
27 Aug 2020 4:32PM
Hi, just moved across from Canon to Sony A9 and the 200-600 lens, I understand that you cannot adjust focus while the lens is in AF mode unless you either switch over on the lens itself or create a custom button (C button in my case) to override the AF mode on the lens, however as far as I can see once you let go of the C button the lens reverts to AF mode so my question is how or can you set a button that once pressed will keep the lens itself in the Manual option, I also use the AEL button to switch from the focus multi mode to the centre focus for smaller birds in amongst branches and the AF-ON button for BBF. Hope someone understands the question. Thank you, Russ.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
28 Aug 2020 9:03AM
I understand the question.

You need to go through the camera's menu system to find " Custom Key " ( for stills ) where you can then set the custom button.

I think the one you want is AF/MF Control Hold

There is also AF/MF Ctrl Toggle. This toggles between the two so once pressed it stays in that mode until pressed again.

I also use the 200-600 lens with the A7RIV Smile
28 Aug 2020 9:52AM

Quote:I understand the question.

You need to go through the camera's menu system to find " Custom Key " ( for stills ) where you can then set the custom button.

I think the one you want is AF/MF Control Hold

There is also AF/MF Ctrl Toggle. This toggles between the two so once pressed it stays in that mode until pressed again.

I also use the 200-600 lens with the A7RIV Smile

28 Aug 2020 9:56AM
Hi, thank you for the info, still trying to get to grips with the menu system, can't understand why Sony did not allow an option as on many lenses you are able to tweak the lens focus.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.