Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Sony Alpha 6000

nax1946 5 11 Australia
4 Jun 2015 9:15PM
Hi all. I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been covered before. I am considering purchasing the Sony A6000 plus 19mm & 30mm Prime Lens. I have a Minolta 35-70mm : 3.5-4.5 lens (When Minolta were around) and I am aware that I will have to buy an adaptor. My question is twofold:
1. Does anyone have this camera and are they happy with it.
2. My style of photography is land/seascapes etc with the usual "family snaps"
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
4 Jun 2015 9:29PM
I don't have the camera or the lenses, but I have researched it, and believe it's an outstanding camera, that is let down by a less than stellar supply of available lenses. If I were into mainly landscapes/seascapes, as you are, I think I would be looking at a full frame camera today in order to take advantage of some of the great wide/ultra-wide angle lenses available. Just my opinion. Welcome onboard btw.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
4 Jun 2015 9:29PM
I am considering purchasing the Sony A6000 plus 19mm & 30mm Prime Lens

As in the 19mm and 30mm Sigma`s ?

I have no experience of this camera but I would have thought that you would be better off with one of te M4/3 offerings.

I have a Minolta 35-70mm : 3.5-4.5 lens (When Minolta were around) and I am aware that I will have to buy an adaptor. My question is twofold:

Just because you have an old Minolta lens it does not mean you will need a Sony camera, what ever camera you fit this to will need an adapter.
nax1946 5 11 Australia
4 Jun 2015 9:37PM
StrayCat Plus and Paul : Thanks for your responses.
4 Jun 2015 10:03PM
If your a fan of the Sigma`s they are also made for M4/3, I use M4/3 and use both the Sigma 19 and the 60mm.
4 Jun 2015 10:17PM
Methinks quite a bit more research by the OP is required. Don't you think a good M4/3 lens for landscape would be a bit expensive Paul? There are so many suitable lenses available for APS-C and FF at very competitive prices, while it seems Olympus and Panasonic have a monopoly on the good wide angles, at premium prices. Of course, if cost is not a concern, it doesn't matter, but anybody buying into a system because they have an old Minolta lens might want to look at other alternatives, as you mentioined.
4 Jun 2015 10:22PM
Methinks quite a bit more research by the OP is required. Don't you think a good M4/3 lens for landscape would be a bit expensive Paul?

Hell no, you can spend what ever you like, closed down a few stops pretty much any lens is good (even the kit lenses)

Sony will be no different in this respect.
4 Jun 2015 10:44PM
I guess, I was thinking in terms of a good ultra wide angle like the 7-14mm.
4 Jun 2015 10:56PM
Yes, premium prices what ever brand you go for.
nax1946 5 11 Australia
4 Jun 2015 11:30PM
Thanks again for your input guys. I should have mentioned from the outset, that my current gear is a Nikon D300 : Nikon 50mm Prime : Sigma 17-70mm : Tokina 11-16 and a Sigma 70-200. So you can tell that I am open to no sticking to one brand. As long as I can get what I am looking for. However in this case I would prefer to stick to Sony Lenses to stop from having to use an adaptor. With the price of one, I can probably purchase a third Sony Lens and "shelve" the Minolta lens.
Your thoughts!!!!
5 Jun 2015 1:17AM
My thoughts are; stick with Nikon all the way. I switched from Olympus to Nikon in January. You have a treasure trove of lenses at your fingertips, why go to a wasteland like Sony offers for it's A6000, or do you just want to try out the Sony. Do you like having to use menu systems? I believe there are 147 menu items on the A6000; some see that as a Godsend, and I think most serious photographers just cringe at the thought. Watched 10 minutes of a video review on Youtube, and had to give up in frustration from watching the host fumble through the menu systems saying things like: what happened there? Why isn't this working? I know I did this right, but it's still not working. He's a pro; so that's when I crossed the A6000 off my list.
5 Jun 2015 7:22AM
I would like to put it into different perspective. If I understood right you may be switching from film to digital. Do you have any digital experience at all? I assume you do , and it may be with compacts. In this case you need to build on what you've got. Mirror less option is the right choice and A6000 looks sweet if you have no intention to expand your lens collection beyond stated. However, if you are not very keen on keeping an old lens and not into extensive RAW use- M4/3 offers better solution.
Or, if you wish to build on film skills - Nikon DSLR may be the way to go. As for now this brand offers the best option for transferring film skills into digital world. Their choice of hardware is arguably best on the market as well.
If you wish for a tailored advice please give us a bit more info.
Cheers!
RayBeck 15 43 United Kingdom
5 Jun 2015 8:39AM
For what it is worth after all the previous advice I do have the A6000 and love it. The Image Quality is very good, it is easy to use once you get used to it, it is light and unobtrusive. Only downside (and it is a very minor one) is that they have removed the virtual horizon which was on the earlier Nex models eg 7 & 6. Just for the record I have full frame cameras as well (Nikon D750 and Sony A7 II) but apart from extreme conditions (low light) I find for my purposes (printing up to A3 for club competition and to sell) the A6000 gives results which are certainly good enough. I don't have any experience of using the lenses you refer to but hope this helps.
nax1946 5 11 Australia
5 Jun 2015 9:29AM
Thank you one and all for your honest and informative input.
Michael : I made the switch from film to digital virtually on day one. I still have my old Minolta 7000, hence the 35-70 lens.
I still love my Nikon D300, however, I am beginning to feel my age now and carrying something like 9/10 kgs of gear (excluding the tripod) is becoming tiring.
User_Removed 5 1.0k United Kingdom
5 Jun 2015 10:26AM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.