Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Sony DSLR-A100

SexyDan 13 14 1 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2007 5:14PM
I have a sony DSLR-A100 because i suppose my loyality to the brand influenced me to choose this camera.
In the beginning i had the body with a 18-70mm lense, and as i'm learning more and getting more experienced i've decided i want to increase my equipment for this camera.
My frustration is all the shops i go to from Argos to sony centre all seem to sell the body, but as for getting lenses this seems to be a different matter.
It's ok if you want to get the lenses off the internet but i like to look at my potential purchases before i buy them.

First of all does any one else have this frustration
Secondly why are Sony pushing the body so hard and yet not the lenses.

I'm also interested in any other thoughts about this camera ;0)
mdpontin 16 6.0k Scotland
6 Feb 2007 5:24PM
I've never looked for a Sony lens, but you should have no trouble at all in finding third-party lenses (e.g. Sigma) in Sony/Konica Minolta mount. Also consider looking at the used market for KM lenses.

Doug
Murphy 14 12
6 Feb 2007 5:31PM
I have heard they are difficult to get a hold of. What's more worrying is has anybody heard anything about a Sony prosumer body?
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2007 5:40PM

Quote:Argos to sony

You need to go to a propper camera shop.

Where do you live - we may be able to suggest some in your area.
Indeed Jessops are everywhere these days.

Mattw
6 Feb 2007 5:55PM
My point was about the
Quote:argos to sony
is that all retailers from these 2 sell the bodies and i dare say any between. I've been into jessops and again they may have 1 lense on display. but really you'd expect to be able to get all sony accessories/ lenses from a sony centre surely?
6 Feb 2007 5:56PM

Quote:Sony prosumer body?

ps don't mean to sound think but what is this?
6 Feb 2007 6:00PM
Dan - the sony center is not a camera shop.
Jessops do not have all of their lenses on display - so it is worth asking what lenses they have in stock - and if they don't have it in stock, they can order it in for you.

Also remember that 'Minolta' lenses will work on your camera, and Sigma and Tamron also make compatable lenses.

Mattw
6 Feb 2007 6:04PM
Thanks Mattw for the clarity. i had no idea that all those lenses would fit?

Have you ever tried any lenses 2nd hand or off ebay? or would you be careful with these 2 thoughts?
6 Feb 2007 6:08PM
This sony takes the Minolta A-mount lens but I have no idea why Sony doesn't have any lens. I guess I am lucky, I buy from B&H,....I also have been looking at this camera because my SLR is an minolta. Will have to check out the Sony stores here to see what they carry
6 Feb 2007 6:17PM

Quote:Thanks Mattw for the clarity. i had no idea that all those lenses would fit?

Sorry, for exta clarity:

Sigma and Tamron make lenses for Sony/minolta. They also make lenses for other brands... so if you buy a sigma lens, make sure it is a 'sony/minolta compatable lens'

Sony brought the minolta camera division lock stock and barrel last year, which is why minolta lenses will work with sony camears (and vice-versa).

Mattw
Snapper_T 16 867 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2007 7:47PM
You shouldn't have any probs finding lenses Dan, If there isn't a proper camera shop on your town, then try Warehouse express , and various other companies that also operate online. Ffordes and Mifsuds often have s/hand kit at reasonable prices too.

I have bought all but one of my lenses on ebay with no probs at all.

Trev
NevP 15 853 13 Canada
6 Feb 2007 9:25PM
I have a load of excellent lenses - G series, sigma macro etc. for sale. If you're imterested PM me. Smile
User_Removed 15 4.9k England
6 Feb 2007 10:02PM
[link=null]Sony Lenses[/link]
Col ps. Sold every one of my Minolta lenses on Ebay last week.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.