Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

Sony is confusing.

Onimarge 9 10 Scotland
4 Mar 2009 6:32PM
Okay. I need a hotshoe adapter for syncing studio flash etc etc.

But Sony have FA-ST1AM (sync terminal flash adapter) and FA-HS1AM (Hotshoe adapter) for studio flash.

So what do I actually need? Sony users help!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 14 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Mar 2009 12:16AM
Well seeing as no Sony owners have come forth, This here Nikon user had a look for you....Smile

Now from what I can see the FA-ST1AM is an adapter for use on the hotshoe, To fire studio strobes via the " Sync " terminal....!

Thats the little round socket if your not familiar with these things.

The other one you mention FA-HS1AM, Is a hotshoe adapter that allows you to use " Third Party " that is not Sony speedlights, Also known as " Flashguns " mounted directly on the camera....!

First thing that springs to mind is What a Rip Off, Are they serious regarding the prices of these things.....Sad

If your looking to use a third party speedlight or flashgun, For what Sony are charging for the adapters, You'd be better of buying one of Sony's overpriced speedlights......!

If your looking to fire " Modern " Studio strobes, ie: Elinchrom etc etc, They should be compatible with any DSLR, You can choose to fire them using a " Sync Lead " or via a Radio Trigger or IR trigger...!

If your camera has no " Sync " socket, Then cable is not an option without the using the FA-ST1AM item, This gives you a " Sync " Socket triggered via your hotshoe........Smile

However most modern studio lights can be fired by IR ( Infra Red ) triggers mounted on the hoteshoe, You can also opt for a Radio trigger, This is the best option as it has better range than IR, And is not affected by ambient light conditions.

All the modern IR & RT triggers that I have seen are compatible with modern DSLRs, THAT said Sony may be different, So you may need to check the specifications of the triggering device you decide to look at........! What your looking for is the triggering voltages.

I can't imagine that in this day and age, Sony need special adapters to fire a modern studio strobe.

As for the prices they are charging, The Nikon equivelant to the FA-ST1AM, Sells for around 15, So someone is having a laugh.....Sad
FatHandedChap 12 1.3k England
5 Mar 2009 9:51AM
The problem with Sony is the shape of the hot shoe is different from everybody elses - an unwelcome legacy from Minolta (I know as I was a Minolta man back in film days).

IR and RT triggers are made to fit standard hot shoes so you would need an adapter to fit these to the camera unless any of the trigger companies make them for the Sony mount.
Onimarge 9 10 Scotland
9 Mar 2009 9:22AM
Yeah so should I get the Sync flash adapter then?

I mainly need it for studio flash since it has a sync lead connector.

It's just that usually other makes use a hotshoe adapter for studio flash and sony made me confused with 2 products.
Photogeek 13 605 6 Wales
9 Mar 2009 4:49PM
I should say that I picked up a Minolta to 'Standard' Hotshoe and Sync Cable adapter from ebay for around 5 quid plus postage from Hong Kong a Bit similar to This one . . . It does the job perfectly

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.