50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Sony music HD music player and new PC

lloydy 16 18 Wales
17 Nov 2006 10:30AM
I've just bought a new PC and I cannot tranfer my music from my Sony HD walkman because it was transfered originally from another PC. I can see why this happens as to stop people sharing but does anyone know of a way around this as I dont really fancy loading all the CD again onto the new PC
thanks
Pete
mlewis 16 1.5k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2006 1:39PM
What walkman model and Sonicstage version do you have? Also, do you still have access to your old PC?
kaybee Plus
16 7.6k 26 Scotland
17 Nov 2006 2:41PM
Sonicstage 2.3 can be used on more that one PC
deviant 17 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2006 2:52PM
That's digital rights management for you I'm afraid. Its not about fair use it's about ripping you off. I avoid Sony products and software now due to their predilection for using restrictive software or putting root-kits on your PC leaving it open to attack. Like their wonderful high profile Gaff on their 'enhanced' CD's recently.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2006 2:57PM
The iPOD has a similar restriction, but there is a tool you can get that allows you to copy the entire drive contents. I suggest you search the net for the equivalent.
deviant 17 3.1k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2006 3:06PM
DVD Jon.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2006 3:15PM
I did not realise it was DVD, as he talked about music and CD's. Oh well.
lloydy 16 18 Wales
17 Nov 2006 4:59PM
I put the latest version from the Sony connect website for the NW HD5 player
Pete
mlewis 16 1.5k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2006 5:28PM
Try getting some advice in the forums at ATRAC Life.

If you rip cd's with the later versions of Sonicstage you can choose not to add DRM to the files. Very useful.
davemars 15 50
17 Nov 2006 8:26PM
I bought a Sony HD minidisc recorder at work as I was after something that could record audio in PCM (i.e no lossy compression), and was rather annoyed to find not only the lack of a digital output, but the only way to access the audio was via the very restrictive Sonicstage software.

My idea to get the audio was to use a virtual soundcard which instead of playing out the audio to the PC audio output (from the Sonicstage playout), it plays it to a file. This then allows you to record the played back audio into file. The problem is you're recording in realtime, so it's not like copying a file over or burning a CD. I'm not sure whether these virtual soundcards are bit-exact too.

As I say, I've never actually got round to trying this, but it might be worth having a look at.
lloydy 16 18 Wales
18 Nov 2006 10:00AM
Thanks for your help I'm going to try and sort things out today, I still have my old pc but I think the processors gone, I was thinking about putting the hard disc into the new pc but not too sure if that will solve the problem or even will it be compatable thet are both Evesham machines, alo there could be a warranty issue too,
cheers again
Pete

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.