50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Sony ring light

pete_c 13 6 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2009 7:48PM
The Sony ring light is supplied with 49 & 55mm adaptors. What is the largest lens thread diameter that it can be fitted to.

Thanks
Pete
spaceman 16 5.3k 3 Wales
12 Sep 2009 11:15PM
55mm I guess.
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
13 Sep 2009 12:22AM
You'll be able to get stepping rings to get it up to 77mm, but the diameter of the flash ring may be smaller than this and will cause vignetting on wider lenses. Use a telephoto with the correct step down ring and it should be fine.
PeterBee 15 35 5 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2009 3:55PM
Yes, Pete's correct in what he says. I used to have the old Minolta Ring Flash (very different to Sony's Ring Light) and currently have a Sony Macro Twin Flash - both were supplied with 49 & 55mm adapters to fit the Minolta/Sony macro lenses which have/had filter threads of those sizes. I have used both with an old Tamron 90mm lens using a step down ring to 52mm without any problems. As Pete says with larger threads you may encounter vignetting problems.

Somewhere at the back of my mind I seem to recall that a larger adapter could be obtained from Sony (think it was 72mm) Might be worth having a look at Sony's web-site or possibly at this is it:

link

Although of course this may not fit the Ring Light - The guy at Minolta Mania (think he's called Paul) should be able to tell you one way or the other.

Regards, Peter
pete_c 13 6 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2009 6:04PM
Thanks for your replies I will be using a lens with 62mm thread I assume this will be OK

Regards
Pete
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
13 Sep 2009 8:37PM
It will be okay providing the angle of the lens is narrow (longer focal length) Wider angles will cause vignetting. You should be able to find a 62mm to 55mm stepping ring. (Correct way is always to work from the lens to the item you add - so this would be called a step-down ring)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.