Sony RX10/4 A little bit of help please.

cheddar-caveman 16 1.2k England
12 Dec 2019 10:44PM
Please bear with an old man!

I have bitten the bullet and am now the proud owner of a Sony RX10 Mk4 and starting to flog through the menus, hundreds of them!

At the moment the viewfinder is full of all sorts of things like an inclinometer, the focus area (of course) and I cannot find is the "DISP" button for changing what you see in the viewfinder.

It's mentioned in the on line manual but looking at the camera and all the "what's what" images in the manual, nothing is labeled DISP.

So where is it please?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 6 5.4k United Kingdom
13 Dec 2019 3:04AM
It's sometimes assigned to one of the 4 way arrow things, also called a d pad, they can be customised on many Sony cameras, so that hitting left goes to drive mode, spinning the wheel is ISO, right is Wb for example.

Does yours not say DISP like the one below, above that back wheel control? Try pressing the wheel at the top of it, I'm not at home at minute, no cameras to hand.

250184_1576206206.jpg

13 Dec 2019 3:09AM
I've just checked, that's where it is, it's a control wheel and 4-way direction pad, you need to press the up direction, just press your finger gently on the top of the wheel just below DISP when in shooting mode. In playback mode it still alters the display but for playback use
13 Dec 2019 9:03AM
Oh GAWD, it's hell getting old Chris! I looked at all the "buttons" but not there and there it is, large as life at the top of the wheel!

Maybe at 81 it's time to go back to my box camera 😱

Many thanks Chris - it doesn't specifically mention this in the on-line manual but ho-hum, Happy Christmas!
13 Dec 2019 2:19PM
Further to my last, checking this out a bit further, and why I couldn't get it to work is because the DISP only works on Focus Ares WIDE and CENTRE. On all the others it just moves the focus area upwards.

Shame there isn't just a centre-spot focus area as I had on both the Canon and Fuji. The nearest thing on the Sony I can find is EXPAND FLEXIBLE SPOT.

All a case of learning new tricks🤓
MentorRon 1 101 Canada
13 Dec 2019 5:19PM

Quote:Oh GAWD, it's hell getting old Chris! I looked at all the "buttons" but not there and there it is, large as life at the top of the wheel!

Maybe at 81 it's time to go back to my box camera 😱

Many thanks Chris - it doesn't specifically mention this in the on-line manual but ho-hum, Happy Christmas!

Even more fun when you buy cheap, used cameras from different manufactureres and they are all different Wink
I have Sony, Panasonic, 2 Fujis, and still have some older cameras: 2 Canons, Minolta, and Kodak.
But then I'm only 78...maybe in 3 years it'll be harder ?
Then add to that operating 2 cell phones, 4 A/V setups, 2 computers and a tablet :-(
Luckily I've been in tech since I was about 19 when I operated large scale IBM computers, then computer programming from my 30s 'til retirement.
319285_1576257919.jpg

Tianshi_angie 5 2.7k England
13 Dec 2019 7:16PM
Believe me that 3 years will make a hell of a lot of difference. Just you wait!
13 Dec 2019 7:25PM

Quote:Believe me that 3 years will make a hell of a lot of difference. Just you wait!

Er like what? Are you say the camera is unreliable or that the warranty is useless😳
MentorRon 1 101 Canada
13 Dec 2019 8:19PM
The only "warranty" I've had in decades is the 90 day one on my "open box" Sony. All the other used items are "as-is" or 7 day return with store credit (not cash). Only one "bad" $7 camera (an Olympus P'n'S) so far which had the 7 day return; on return they had just gotten in the Lumix DMC-ZX1. So added another $7.99 and I'm happy as a clam. Lumix photos under my profile. It was owned by an artist who used it on a vacation, but wanted to begin photographing birds, so needed a longer zoom. Lucky me Wink
13 Dec 2019 8:40PM
Michael, the way it should work is that the 4-way thing will move your focus box about, then when you are happy with where the 'focus box' is you press the centre button to confirm. Box will change colour to confirm. Now the 4-way thing works as it does in other modes, up for display.

You can customise what gets displayed on screen in what mode, so you can get rid of all the stuff you rarely need. You can customise the viewfinder and monitor separately on Sonys I've used and think yours will be the same.

It took me a good year to get used to Sony to the point where I *know* where everything is and what it does. I'm not saying because it's hard, but because there's a wealth of options.

Would be great to have an app on computer that lets you use drag and drop to customise all the menus, hide all the stuff you never use, move them about, save your settings in your Sony account load to your cameras. You can save some stuff to 'memory slots' to recall those settings but it needs to be better and easier.

13 Dec 2019 9:06PM
Tianshi_angie -
Quote:Believe me that 3 years will make a hell of a lot of difference. Just you wait!

What do you mean by this comment please???

Thanks again Chris, might take me a bit longer but this is probably going to be my last camera so will do my best. As long as I can get some good pictures I'm sure I'll never use most of the functions!
13 Dec 2019 9:15PM
I think Angie was replying to Ron saying: "But then I'm only 78...maybe in 3 years it'll be harder ?"

I now feel young (am in my mid fifties), had no idea that you, Ron and Angie were in the 75 -85 age bracket.

We live longer, marry later, eat better, we all should subtract 10 years from our age, so, good news 75 is the new 65 Wink
13 Dec 2019 9:51PM
Yipeeee, I'm only 71😎
Fma7 4 1.0k United Kingdom
13 Dec 2019 10:56PM

Quote: I'm happy as a clam

Is that happy or unhappy? Grin

Are clams noted for their glass half full, half empty outlook?
Tianshi_angie 5 2.7k England
14 Dec 2019 10:21AM
Chris L is right - it was in reply to MentorRon commenting that he was OK and only three years to go but when I compare how much those 3 years have taken a toll on me it is something to be prepared for not complacent about. No reference at all to you or your cameras.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.