Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Sony RX10/4 A little bit of help please.

Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
31 Dec 2019 10:41AM
I think that on the second one the branch that the bird is on is in focus at the part where the bird is. I think, unlike the first bird, the second bird is moving.

Fully zoomed in at equiv of 600mm the slightest movement will affect thousands of pixels. Your shutter speed would need to be a lot faster to freeze the bird's head. To be really sure I'd go for 1/2000 second.

If camera is on Auto ISO it will push that up a bit, swings and roundabouts.

Image stabilization goes some way to simulating having the camera on a tripod but won't stabilise a subject that is moving around the frame.

DOF at that kind of crazy focal length is going to be shallow, it could also be that if head is in focus then parts of the body will not be unless aperture is stopped down.

Find someone with a 600mm lens who is regularly getting sharp images of birds at 1/200th second at f5.
cheddar-caveman 17 1.2k England
31 Dec 2019 2:12PM
Agree Chris. I thought the junction of the branch below the sparrow was more in focus which doesn't make sense! Oh well, keep at it!
cheddar-caveman 17 1.2k England
2 Jan 2020 8:37AM
Thanks Chris. I must remember not to go above 500 or even 400mm hand held!!
As you say, swings and roundabouts! It is horribly dull here in the UK at the moment so poor light all the time.
Fully understand the DOF, especially at such wide apertures. Oh for some sunny days😱

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.