Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sony rx10 iii

2 Feb 2017 6:24PM
I have nearly decided on buying A Sony RX10 mark 3 to take on a upcoming holiday to Sri Lanka.
I dont fancy carrying my Canon gear with me.
I had considered a compact system camera but that would end up with lenses to change and the lenses don't appear to be much smaller than my Canon ones.

I feel I need a large zoom (for my birds) and a general family lens! so I think the Sony fits well unless anyone has any better ideas. My budget is upto 2k but please dont tell the wife

SteveSmile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

2 Feb 2017 7:19PM
I 'invested' in one recently (only one shot uploaded to ephotozine so far) but have been very please with the results. Even my son (Canon 5D Mk3) grudgingly accepts the quality.

And you will still have some change from your 2k so buy the wife some flowers too.

Eric
StrayCat 14 19.1k 3 Canada
2 Feb 2017 7:22PM
Steve, I've been using a Panasonic FZ1000 for over a year, and I got rid of everything else. The quality is as good as anything I was using, imo, and the convenience is excellent. I'm not promoting what I have, the Sony looks like a great piece of kit, and if you have the money, go for it, you won't regret it. Wildlife is my main subject of photography, and it works great, and it will handle fairly heavy cropping.
2 Feb 2017 7:44PM
Thanks for your comments
Eric I am pleased that it produces good pics I do worry after using my 6D.
Stray cat I had considered the Panasonic fz2000 and its many features but the Sony seems to be winning on the zoom.
My local camera shop in Stafford said I can pop in with a memory card and try several of the cameras and take the pics home before I decide which one it will be.
I thought I would see what real photographers on ephotozine think about my choice

SteveSmile
2 Feb 2017 8:42PM
Steve, what I would try also, and see how I cope, is the menu system and ease of use. Good luck. There probably won't be a hugely noticeable difference in IQ.
2 Feb 2017 10:46PM

Quote:I have nearly decided on buying A Sony RX10 mark 3 to take on a upcoming holiday to Sri Lanka.

Not a camera comment, but whatever you decide, take enough memory cards and batteries...Smile (probably an obvious suggestion).

you might get a little weary of "another Buddha statue" tea plantations etc. but they're lovely people and plenty to see...immaculately dressed school children etc. we went a few years back, thankfully before the Tsunami episode, so I do hope they've recovered from it.... envy you....Smile
2 Feb 2017 10:52PM
Thanks Kevin
We are really looking forward to it.
We have the use of a friends holiday home and all we have got to pay for is the flights and the wages for the staff who look after the house while we are there.

Steve😎
seahawk 11 1.2k United Kingdom
3 Feb 2017 10:20AM
Sounds great Steve, I envy you. Sri Lanka is somewhere I've always wanted to go.
banehawi Plus
13 1.8k 3879 Canada
4 Feb 2017 3:24PM
Half the weight and price with excellent images and the same zoom though a little slower is the Canon G3X
4 Feb 2017 7:17PM
I was very impressed as I read the review on the G3X, till I got down to optional viewfinder, that did it for me.
5 Feb 2017 12:21AM
Ordered my Sony from my local camera shop.
Did it cheaper than W*x and helped keep my independent camera shop on the street

Steve🙂
CWT 1 4 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2017 3:17PM
I bought one online from Jessops because they said I could return it within 14 days. I have not returned it!
My 6D, 24-105, 100-400mm, 70-300mm L series. and sigma macro all went on Ebay! It has a one inch sensor so the quality is never going to be as good as a full frame but it is perfectly adequate for normal use. My one disappointment is with macro but I solved this with a set of close up lenses from SRB. There is also an excellent remote release available on Ebay, from China, postage paid, 3.83! It doesn't say it is for the RX10 but at that price I risked it and bought one. I have now ordered another one just for the cable so that I can hook up the Sony to other remote devices.
9 Apr 2017 6:58PM
Welcome to the world of all-in-one. You will find that images can be cropped quite a bit from that camera if need be, just make sure you don't under-expose too much. I have been using zebra pattern to get the exposures right, and it works much better for me than having a histogram over the image does. I had a couple of E-M5s and I honestly don't see much difference in the images from the FZ1000.
Alpha2 1 11 United Kingdom
9 May 2017 7:47PM
After dithering for long enough, I have finally placed my order for an RX10Mk3 and pick it up tomorrow. I am not new to bridge cameras having used a Panasonic FZ1000 for the last year and used it's grandaddy the FZ 200 many years ago when digital photography was still in it's infancy, with all of a 4Gb sensor!

As a wildlife photographer it will perhaps eventually replace my Interchangeable lens gear one day.

9 May 2017 9:28PM
Congratulations. I haven't had an slr for well over a year, and don't miss it, except for one reason, shallow dof. I have my eye on a highly recommended, "cheap" little slr, and a couple of proven, "cheap" lenses. That RX10 III sure looks good.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.