Sony RX100 M4 Processor

16 Jun 2019 12:51PM
Hi all, first post here after running into a curiosity today.
I took a normal JPG photo of some fishing nets, which looked nothing but green to my eyes.
At first glance the JPG looked normal but when did a B&W + green most of the green nets, but not all, turned to B&W???
It was only after a coffee that I went back and took a RAW pic which looked the same green as my eyes saw it but the processor seems to be saying a lot, though not all, of the green is blue which you see on the JPG which disappears with the B&W + green.
Problem with the processor???

I hope I have explained that ok.
They can be seen at
photobucket.com

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.4k 35 Norway
16 Jun 2019 3:03PM
Hi Ashaz - instead of linking to a rival photo site, you can upload the images in question here in this thread - just click on the camera icon in the comment field.
16 Jun 2019 3:09PM

Quote:Hi Ashaz - instead of linking to a rival photo site, you can upload the images in question here in this thread - just click on the camera icon in the comment field.

Thanks!
I'll give it a go.
16 Jun 2019 3:09PM

Quote:Hi all, first post here after running into a curiosity today.
I took a normal JPG photo of some fishing nets, which looked nothing but green to my eyes.
At first glance the JPG looked normal but when did a B&W + green most of the green nets, but not all, turned to B&W???
It was only after a coffee that I went back and took a RAW pic which looked the same green as my eyes saw it but the processor seems to be saying a lot, though not all, of the green is blue which you see on the JPG which disappears with the B&W + green.
Problem with the processor???

I hope I have explained that ok.
They can be seen at
photobucket.com

16 Jun 2019 3:13PM
325753_1560694376.jpg

Looks like it's one at a time
16 Jun 2019 3:14PM
325753_1560694487.jpg

16 Jun 2019 3:15PM
325753_1560694528.jpg

Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
16 Jun 2019 4:33PM
The colour that your camera displays and that your eyes saw before the photograph was taken is dependent on a lot of things. The White balance that the camera is set to, the colour profile of the software in your camera could be different from the one you use to display images on your computer. The Raw file will need processing whilst the Jpg has been arrived at by the camera using the settings that you used to take the image.

Raw files are all of the data contained in the file which it is then up to you to process so that the image looks as close as you can get it to what you saw.
16 Jun 2019 4:46PM
Thanks.
I have tried and failed to process RAW images so gave up. Maybe time to revisit.

Everything on the camera is set to standard/neutral, white balance auto. Maybe there's a better option???

I have the M4 at the moment. Somewhere in the back of a cupboard is the M1. Maybe I should shoot the same scene with that and see how they come out with a slightly different processor.
16 Jun 2019 4:56PM
Hi Ashaz.
Have you tried adjusting the cyan channel as well as the green when you convert to mono? To my eyes, the nets look like a particular shade of green that has a fair bit of blue in them. Just a thought...no idea if it'll make a difference. It could just be my monitor - or my eyesight!!!! 🙄
16 Jun 2019 5:00PM
The conversion is all in the processing by the camera which I have no control of.
Maybe it would be a good start to practice with RAW images.
16 Jun 2019 5:41PM
Ah! I see the problem now!

Editing raw files is definitely the way forward. You'll soon get the hang of the basics if you're familiar with using any kind of computer software. ☺️
16 Jun 2019 6:30PM
I can but hopeGrin
Tianshi_angie 4 2.5k England
16 Jun 2019 7:11PM
What software are you using to process your raw Files? There are some good free ones like Irfan View or you can purchase some good ones at a reasonable price on Amazon.
16 Jun 2019 7:21PM
I don't really have a particular one as most seem beyond me but it is something I want to have a go at so I will have a look at Irfan View.
Thanks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.