Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Sony's big announcement today at 3pm?

Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
20 Jul 2019 3:55PM

Quote:How did I manage for all those years without that feature on my film cameras

Beats me, I wonder the same about the newsletters I used to produce with a typewriter, don't think I'd go back to that.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
22 Jul 2019 9:40AM
Can someone please explain in simple terms what " 4k oversampled from 6K " means ?

That is listed of one of the features.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2019 1:59PM
Because our modern digital cameras have resolutions that are higher than TV formats such as HD (1920 x 1080, less than 2MP) and 4k (3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160, about 8.5 megapixels) and because the aspect ratio of 4:3 or 3:2 does not match the 16:9 aspect ratio of newer video formats there is a surplus of pixels.

Some cameras crop the image from the sensor to an area that matches HD or 4k. The downside to this approach is that standard lenses start to act like telephoto lenses, wide angle lenses are no longer wide etc.

Another method is to try to use the full width of the sensor then use pixel binning or line skipping to get rid of the excess pixels, that sometimes causes step type jaggies though.

A better method is to capture as much as possible then resample the image, in the way Photoshop might. But it needs a lot of processing power and the feature is usually only available on higher end cameras.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.