Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Sorrento

sherlob Plus
13 3.0k 129 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2014 7:53PM
Well I am lucky enough to be heading off to Sorrento in a week or so. I've had a look online and a good look in the galleries here for ideas of what photographic opportunities I want to take advantage of when I am there, but I wondered if anyone had any good location tips/ideas?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
10 Jun 2014 8:01PM
I have not been there but from my parents' photos from an holiday you will not have any difficulty finding subjects to photograph.

Mind you, the Pope ( not the current one ) visited whilst they were there so you will not get those images ! !

If you get time a trip over to Capri for the day would be an excellent choice
AnneB50 7 118 18 Scotland
10 Jun 2014 8:41PM
Head for a little fishing village called Marina Grande, easy walking distance from the centre of Sorrento but a million miles away from the hustle and bustle. Lots to traditional fishing boats, local fishermen mending their nets and a row or yellow and white beach huts on stilts make this a photographers paradise. There is also a super place for lunch called Delfino's, right at the far end of the harbour, great food, reasonably priced and very quirky, check out the Trip Advisor reviews.

If you decide to take a trip to Positano with all the coloured houses built into the rocks, best to do it by boat as it's the only way you can get good photos.

Have a great time, well look forward to seeing some of your photos when you get back.
10 Jun 2014 8:56PM
If your in Capri, a trip to the blue grotto is well worth it. Plenty of sites to see and photograph in the Sorrento area. I was there many years ago but i'm guessing it hasn't changed that much.
lumixman 7 10 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2014 9:37PM
I love Amalfi and the area around the Cathedral is very photogenic. If you are feeling adventurous get the service bus along the coast road to Amalfi as the coastal views are terrific. I`m bound to say I`m jealous as I have been to that area several times and still love it.
Migster 6 107 England
11 Jun 2014 7:58AM
What a great destination.
Pompeii is only a shortish drive down the road, but if driving in Italy is not for you, I believe that you can get there by train..

It offers a host of unique opportunities, but stay away from the crowds. We accidentally went off the beaten track and ended completely on our own in an area that was cordoned off. It was really atmospheric.
Wherever you go enjoy.
John
Peter_West 8 258 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2014 8:00AM
Its one of the most stunning places iv'e been, your only 15min train ride from Pompeii, and about hour from Vesuvius, there's loads places to photograph in Sorrento, wish I was there now, lucky you
Peter_West 8 258 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2014 8:24AM
just remembered if you want a good meal with stunning views, head for the Officers Club in Sorrento, Tongue
alansnap 15 577 26 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2014 11:15AM
Pompeii - take the train direct from Sorrento, Vesuvius - there are numerous coach trips form hotels, Capri - an easy trip by fast ferry - enjoy the town and make for a side trip go to Anacapri and take the cable car to the top of the island. Take a cruise down the Amalfi Coast - a bit of fun and Amalfi itself is lovely.
I'm jealous,
Alan
pluffy 12 167 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2014 12:27PM
You could try Positano which is just up the coast from Amalfi, very beautiful and not called the Vertical village for no reason.

There is also Ravello which has an amazing view over the coast and the villages of Minori and Minori major.

Steve

NEWMANP 11 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2014 11:36AM
look for the hotel grand president perched on a cliff and you should be able to walk around the back to the high level or go through to the pool at the top. in the mornings the view of the bay of Naples from Vesuvius to the mountains is incredible, all pale blue tones with mist rolling out from the peaks.

go to Capri, its not cheap on the ferry but the town at the top is fabulous.

miss out Pompeii on the train and go past to Herculaneum, there is more wall painting and mosaic etc. less expensive and much easier to navigate in the heat.

there is a lemon and orange tree grove in the town, look for the big green tank, for a reference. the groves are quite lovely at some times of the year.

there is plenty to photograph in the town, the old boys play cards under a dome painted with fresco,s and the back lanes are full of interest, the cloisters at the church overlooking the sea are nice too.

Phil
PhilT2 Plus
9 510 29 England
18 Jun 2014 11:52AM
Long time since I was there but a lovely place.
Would definitely endorse the coastal trip to Amalfi and Positano......stunning views from all along the road although the roads themselves are something of a hairy experience.
Capri is a good location for pictures and Vesuvius is unique. Having done both Pompeii and Herculaneum I prefer Pompeii of the two.
Don't forget Sorrento itself.......some good narrow streets and colourful locations.

Best of all..........don't concentrate on your photography.........enjoy the relaxing atmosphere and ambience.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.