Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sound prob

User_Removed 11 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2012 12:55AM
Love taking my little Canon Powershot to gigs.

Sometimes though sound is overwhelmed by the bins (listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers Sunderland video here and you'll see what I mean).

I'm racking my brains trying to think of something which I could attach to the camera that would cut the bass without changing volume of other sounds. Hope I'm making sense?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse Plus
12 39.8k 269 England
25 Jun 2012 1:39AM
Found this on VideoHelp about processing... may or may not be of some use. But also, from that thread:

Quote: With live music and a camera with a built in microphone, I have used a fabric band-aid (plaster) to cover over the microphone hole to reduce the bass and distortion. A cheap fix, but it often works.
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.1k 6 England
25 Jun 2012 1:51AM
A separate sound recorder I think.
25 Jun 2012 1:53AM
I tried all sorts of low shelf filters and other post processing stuff in Vegas to no avail. I think it will have to be the bandage / tape. Will have to do some tests. Real shame cos I got some really fun footage Sad
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.1k 6 England
25 Jun 2012 2:16AM
Really I should have said external mic, looks like the one built into the camera is struggling.
25 Jun 2012 2:29AM
It's just certain gigs, I thought Springsteen sound was okay?

I'd have to get external mic and external recorder then sync it up later, bang goes the travelling light with just the S95. Really need an S95 fix. Could also do with a stick type of thing to lift camera above heads more comfortably, something that screws into tripod socket
Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.1k 6 England
25 Jun 2012 2:41AM

Quote:Could also do with a stick type of thing to lift camera above heads more comfortably, something that screws into tripod socket

Easier enough to make or buy, if I can transform a telescopic hiking pole into a monopod I`m sure you can manage this.

I understand that these are getting rave reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-H4n-professional-digital-recorder/dp/B001QWBM62
26 Jun 2012 1:37PM
I think I need something that won't look like a weapon, steadies the camera a little too. Mini monopod or such like
Carabosse Plus
12 39.8k 269 England
26 Jun 2012 2:24PM
Tape up the legs of this and you have a mini-monopod. It's about 9 inches long.

mt.jpg

Paul Morgan Plus
14 17.1k 6 England
26 Jun 2012 9:09PM

Quote:I think I need something that won't look like a weapon, steadies the camera a little too. Mini monopod or such like

looks nothing like a weapon a bit of tape and your sorted Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.