Spec for a new computer

Oldstoat 5 72 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2019 5:39PM
I'm thinking of replacing my current computer. When I got it I wasn't doing much photo processing; now I am, mostly with Canon DPP4, and it can be a bit slow. IS it worth my while getting a dedicated graphics card or do I just need a lot of RAM and a fast processor?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa Plus
9 905 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2019 9:09AM
What is your current computer specification?

Photoshop will take advantage of a good graphics card, but apparently Canon DPP4 does not*. So more memory / faster CPU would be of benefit.

* there is debate on-line regarding this
Oldstoat 5 72 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2019 12:13PM
It's a fairly old (5 years) built to order machine running Windows 10 with 4GB RAM and as I recall, a fairly average AMD processor. I'm leaning towards the faster processor/more RAM option anyway as it's more versatile for the money.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
25 Mar 2019 12:51PM
Slowness can be a last of RAM and slow hard disks. SSD's are faster than HD's so may be worth their cost if you work with larger files.
25 Mar 2019 10:31PM
Well a faster processor won’t go amiss, and more RAM likewise, but I do agree that SSD is very beneficial - my laptop is ready to go in under 10 seconds I reckon, with an SSD inside...do give it some thought if “upgrading” it’s certainly the way forward...a bit more costly, but prices will drop, as usual with latest “technology” and whizzy hard drives will quickly be obsolete...
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
16 Sep 2019 12:25PM
Some useful tips in the replies as I am also researching an upgrade for a desktop computer Smile

Currently thinking of 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD with a 21.5" screen then adding later a separate 24" monitor ( 27" appears too large for me )
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
16 Sep 2019 2:41PM

Quote:Currently thinking of 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD

That's exactly what I've got here along with an i5 processor, a 24" primary monitor and a 22" (I think) secondary one.

The SSD contains only the operating system (Widows 10 Pro) and the programmes.
Everything else is stored on a internal 2tb. spinner.

It starts from cold to fully functioning in about 15 seconds. Photoshop loads in about 7.
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2019 12:56AM
The SSDs are coming down in price so much now. Wasn't that long ago that a terabyte SSD was for millionaires - well they were 500 quid or something mad the first time I saw one for sale. You can get a top brand 1TB for less than £100 now - like these

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.