Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Spec to run 24mb files and Lightroom 4

tanyard 12 109 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2013 2:30PM
Hi All,

A couple of years ago I set myself up with a computer good enough to run files from the Canon 7D reasonably fast with PS4. I now have a 5dMk2 which has bigger files. I use LR4 (maybe soon upgrade to 5 when available) and still run PS4.

I recently replaced the motherboard and installed a solid state drive to run programs (picture files are also on the ssd until processed after which they are archived onto the the old drive) but it still takes several seconds for an action to be processed.

Any ideas on spec for an updated desktop computer?

Many thanks for your thoughts

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
7 Jun 2013 2:39PM
Putting the Lightroom catalog on the SSD is a good idea, especially if the SSD is plugged in to a SATA3 socket. It doesn't matter so much where the RAWs are stored. I have 1:1 previews made on imoiprting to speed up editing. It makes for big catalogs but space is relatively cheap even on SSD.

I run an Intel i5 processor with 8Gb RAM and that works well. There'll always be someone who suggests extravagant specs but they really are not necessary for graphics work, ditto expensive video cards.
7 Jun 2013 2:43PM
Thanks Lemmy. I had forgotten about changing the previews. I'll have a look and also see what's currently installed. Thank you for your recommendations. Presumably there's a label on the chip saying what it is, or is there an electronic way of finding out what's there, as well as the size of memory installed?
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2013 2:46PM
I had my RAM upgraded to 8Gb and it was really worth it. It happily handles the quite large files my D800 produces!
7 Jun 2013 2:49PM

Quote: or is there an electronic way of finding out what's there, as well as the size of memory installed?

Control Panel -> System. The opening page will give you the details you require.
Gundog 6 629 Scotland
7 Jun 2013 4:51PM

Quote:or is there an electronic way of finding out what's there, as well as the size of memory installed?

Control Panel -> System. The opening page will give you the details you require.

Even simpler - just right-click on Computer and look at the properties.

I find that LR4 and CS6 on an i7 machine with 16Gb of fast RAM is perfectly adequate for 45Mb Raw files.

Mind you, it is all a bit of a vicious circle of ever increasing needs: New camera, new software, new computer, new camera, new software...........

I remember installing an IBM mainframe in 1976 that cost 2-million and required an air conditioned suite of rooms of about 8000 sq.ft. It had less processing power than my iPhone has today!
8 Jun 2013 4:38PM
Sooo...

Firstly, My system tells me I am running an AMD Athlon(tm)11 X2 250 processor, 3 ghz with 4 gb installed ram and is 64 bit.

Does the team think the PATRIOT Viper 3 PVI316G160C9K PC3-12800 DDR3 PC Memory - 16GB DIMM RAM from PC World at 109.99 is the way forward?

The motherboard was recently replaced (although I can't understand why the techie didn't install additional RAM at the same time) so it should be a simple matter of removing the 4gb and replacing with the 2 8's?

Secondly, Lemmi, you said 'I have 1:1 previews made on importing to speed up editing'. Am I right in thinking LR only allows you to select that at import and you can't alter it for those pictures later? My Scott Kelby book doesn't seem to help with that one.
MarkBroughton 11 286 1 United Kingdom
8 Jun 2013 6:17PM
If you were to buy online from say Ebuyer, prices for 16GB of PC-12800 DDR3 start at 88 so you could save a few quid, just gotta wait for it to arrive Smile I'd check full compatibility with your motherboard and get the fastest it will support before you make any decisions though..
8 Jun 2013 11:37PM
Thank you Mark. Presumably I ask the vendor if it's compatible? And the opportunity to save that much dosh makes the wait worthwhile.
9 Jun 2013 7:32AM
You could go to www.crucial.com/uk and select their system scanner, this will tell you how much RAM your motherboard will support
and suggest compatible RAM with the prices, I have used this service over the years with excellent results and very fast delivery.
Hope this helps.
David
9 Jun 2013 11:01AM

Quote:Am I right in thinking LR only allows you to select that at import and you can't alter it for those pictures later? My Scott Kelby book doesn't seem to help with that one.

It's completely unintuitive but is easy to do. In Library module, select the pictures for which you which to make the previews. Go to the Library Menu and towards the bottom of the list you will see Previews. Selecting Render1:1 Previews will make them of the selected pictures.

The 1:1s do make for a large catalog but the same menu item will allow you to delete the 1:1 previews too of you need to.
JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
9 Jun 2013 11:29AM
And coming soon in LR 5... Smart Previews, which I do not think I will be using.
9 Jun 2013 3:03PM
Fantastic, thank you all for your responses. I appreciate your time

Have a fab weekend

M
MarkBroughton 11 286 1 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2013 6:12PM

Quote:Thank you Mark. Presumably I ask the vendor if it's compatible? And the opportunity to save that much dosh makes the wait worthwhile.

Absolutely, or probably the easiest way, as already said is to use a system scanner - I second chalkhillblue's suggestion the crucial site is very good, and they seem to be reasonably priced too.
9 Jun 2013 8:05PM
and very very simple

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.