Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Special effects for point and shoot camera users

15 Jan 2019 5:08PM
I run a group for senior citizen amateur photographers, who in the main have point and shoot compact cameras. Has anyone any ideas for fun effects they could create without special lenses?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pink Plus
16 6.2k 7 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2019 5:35PM
Semi transparent sweet papers held over the lens, coloured bits of glass, cross polarisation with 2 pieces of plastic (rulers/protractors etc)
Vaseline on a piece of flat glass or an old filter smeared onto it, breathing on the lens and taking the picture before it clears.......I could go on Smile
15 Jan 2019 6:10PM
Thank you Pink - all ideas welcome
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
15 Jan 2019 11:58PM
As a variation on the sweetie paper theme, see if you can get a transparent plastic tube slightly wider than the lens diameter. ( Sometimes packs of ballpoints come in them). Line the tube with transparent coloured film or sweetie papers then photograph an object down the tube.
like this
65117_1547596646.jpg

glass objects work particularly well.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 600 England
16 Jan 2019 4:01PM
Use LED torches/lights to illuminate objects set up on a table. Unlike flash they'll be able to see the effects and play around with them until they see something that looks interesting.
eric55 5 24 United States
18 Jan 2019 1:38AM
There are many things you can try simply by using your camera: Switch to a different white balance than the one you are actually shooting under. Trip the shutter while zooming in or out. Try your hand at panning - my Canon does it perfectly in auto mode, but my Sony can't do it at all in any mode unless I preset a lot of settings before hand. Enjoy your photography.
1 Dec 2019 10:20PM
Thanks for your suggestions found ladies nylons create a soft focus filter and have achieved some abstract effects shooting through cut crystal.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.