Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Speedlite for a Canon 300d ?

jany 17 94 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2005 5:45AM
Hi Guys,
I was asked to cover a community event in a hall recently, I used my 300d with its own flash but found as all shots taken were of people on stage or near walls it left shadow casts. These were quite bold but thin. Would a Speedlite flashgun eliminate this and if so which one?
Thank you
Janine
jamess 17 162 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2005 6:05AM
Not really as the flash is still on top of the camera and no light gets from the flash to the wall behind, unless you bounce the flash (ie aim the head of the speedlite at a ceiling or wall halfway between you and the subject) or use a diffuser.

Only problem with bouncing though is that the hall is likely to have high ceilings or far away walls so there wont be much to bounce it off.

A diffuser should soften the shadows, but they will still be present and the range will be reduced.

The higher end speedlites have bounce and swivel.
Chris_H 16 1.5k 1
3 Oct 2005 7:30AM
A flash bracket could help you here if used with a good speedlite.

Chris
elikag 16 749
3 Oct 2005 10:11AM
Check the LumiQuest site for a range of diffusers. Some are good only with a ceiling or a wall near by; and some are good for open space/dark ceiling or walls.

I have the Pocket Bouncer and at short distances it work pretty well. E-mail me if you want comparison photos.

HTH,
Ilia Kagan.
jany 17 94 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2005 12:16PM
Thanks for replies,
James- Are you saying that higher speedlites will help or would a diffuser be just as good.
Chris- flash bracket? please explain.
Ilia- I had a look, they seemed quite impressive. Shall email you. thanks.

I am hoping to do more events but really need to conquer this problem, is there any other way, maybe with the camera settings or is it a case of buying a add on?
4 Oct 2005 1:06AM
Janine,

I hadn't realised that you could get a diffuser for a pop-up flash, until I saw the lumiquest site. And I think that explains it a lot better than i could.

My guess would be that a diffuser with an external flash would be better as the extra power of the flash means it can be diffused more.

Someone else might correct me on that though; it's something I understand the theory on, but i have never got around to putting into practice.
4 Oct 2005 5:05AM
Just thought about this again, and missed the obvious one using your existing kit - increase your iso, open the aperture up and slow down the shutter speed; by becoming less dependant on the flash, the contrast between the flash lit part of the wall and the ambient lit part will be a less, and so the strength of the shadow.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.