Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

sport Horse Trials

johnmac 8 140
2 Aug 2016 4:35PM
Hi

I've looked at the forum and there's quite a bit about sport particularly football but not Horse Trials.

I'm hoping someone can can give me advice. I recently been to a few horse trials and photographed the event and really enjoyed it. I always contact the organisers first to gain permission and always seek out the official photographers and introduce myself and inform him/her that I have had permission from the organisers and that I'm an amateur photographer and I'm taking photographs for personal use and not for commercial or personal gain.

The organiser are strict when giving me permission that I do not sell any images and rightly so it would be totally unfair on the professional guys doing it for a living.

My question is what are the requirements and how would I go about obtain a permit/license.

look forward to any replies

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 Aug 2016 7:59PM
You steal the job from the professional you're so careful not to upset. 😉

Flippant answer but true. Different events operate different requirements but you may have to pitch and pay for the privelage to make money from the event and you'll have to convince them that you can deliver the goods.

You'll get warned about insurance and you will need some due to the crowds involved at some of these events but you'll only know the answer when you contact the organisers well in advance and ask them.

johnmac 8 140
2 Aug 2016 8:03PM
Thanks I'm only looking into this for when I retire soon.
Migster 6 107 England
2 Aug 2016 10:50PM
On
When you say horse trials do you mean Eventing?
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
2 Aug 2016 11:29PM

Quote:When you say horse trials do you mean Eventing?

It's the same thing.
Overread 10 4.1k 19 England
3 Aug 2016 8:00AM
There's no real "Permit" nor "licence" just do as you've been doing and ask the event organisers. In general bigger events won't care so much as smaller events as bigger events will be more used to the public attending and thus people bringing cameras and many horse trials you should be able to get close enough to get a decent shot or three. Angles might be a problem and sometimes the only good angle for a shot is going to be if you're standing out in the arena [ergo beyond the barrier]. Sadly whilst most barriers offer no protection what so ever against a horse (most events its just a bit of rope or tape held up by a few standing poles) the legal and insurance aspects change depending on what side you're on. So events big and small might well discourage or disallow you to be beyond the general public barrier. But depends on the event and situation.

I've done much the same as yourself - more for showjumping but its a similar affair.
johnmac 8 140
3 Aug 2016 8:42AM
Thanks all for your advice well worth me asking the question that's the beauty ephotozine forum whether it's a professional or amateur replying you can get hands on advice.

I use Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 and Nikon 200-500 f5.6 so I can get resonably close to the action
mikeweeks 14 977 3 England
5 Aug 2016 9:37AM
As somebody that does this for a living there is a big issue with irresponsible amateurs at such events, however your approach seems sound.

Mike
Overread 10 4.1k 19 England
5 Aug 2016 10:22AM
Mike would you care to elaborate on what you mean by irresponsible behaviour? Might be most of it is things most of us assume already; but there could be some forms of it which do not appear irresponsible.
5 Aug 2016 10:31AM
Irresponsible such as jumping out at approaching horses, being in areas of the course and not paying attention to what is going on around them - horses are unpredictable and after hundreds of events I can still only guess what is going to happen - hence why if you have not done this before it is a really good idea to ask the experts for advice.

There is another side to this and that is that many venues offer free access to view the event but that does not entitle anybody to do anything commercial and yet there are numerous clowns with a camera offering their images over facebook - wow betide those that some of the organisers catch up with.

Mike
johnmac 8 140
5 Aug 2016 10:56AM
I've been to 3 horse trials and as I mentioned I always make contact with the organisers before and they do give you safety instructions stay behind the rope adhere to the whistle and not to sell my images but as you say horses can be unpredictable last one I went to the horse lost its rider and galloped off in the wrong direction riderless.

I found that introducing yourself to the official photographer and confirming your photos are not for commercial or sale they are friendly and found them helpful.

I do put them on my Flickr and insert in the details that in agreement with the organisers these photos are not for sale as seen on my Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127771247@N05/albums/72157671102685806

keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Aug 2016 12:20PM
So why do you want a permit/license, John?
779HOB 7 1.2k United Kingdom
5 Aug 2016 12:38PM
I'm assuming you want to be able to get accreditation for the events so you can sell your photos.

I got into shooting cycling events when I was covering one for a paper. I chatted to the official event photographer and gave him my card. I now cover 11 events a year for him and a few for another person too. It's easy work for me really, I take the photos, hand the cards over and get paid. He does all the admin work around selling. Yep he makes more than me but I don't want the admin hassle.

You might find the same approach works for horse events. I don't know if people cover horse events work in the same way as the cycling events guys do of course.
5 Aug 2016 6:03PM
I know a lot of such photographers across the country and for many the same way of working exists.

No such thing as a permit or licence however there is accreditation at some of the top events.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.