Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

Sports and children

GCF 9 2
20 Apr 2009 9:29PM
I recently photographed a martial arts competition which involved a lot of children. Where do I stand in putting these images onto a website (where do I get permission from for such large numbers)?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

uggyy 12 2.1k 9 Scotland
20 Apr 2009 9:31PM
The compition runners would be a good start, see what there rules are for the events they run.

Anyone entering the comp would have to abide by there rules when they enter the child... I would thinks...

stolzy 12 3.8k 7
20 Apr 2009 10:13PM
Why do you need permission?
User_Removed 16 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
20 Apr 2009 10:16PM
Lol........think about it John.
stolzy 12 3.8k 7
20 Apr 2009 10:29PM
Sorry, still don't get it...enlighten me.
Hanners Plus
12 875 10 Ireland
20 Apr 2009 10:58PM

Quote:Sorry, still don't get it...enlighten me.

for a start the competition was probably not in a public place, more likely a private one such as a sports hall, perhaps a model release form would have helped to start with, but yes contact the organisers and go from there
stolzy 12 3.8k 7
20 Apr 2009 11:02PM

Quote:for a start the competition was probably not in a public place,

Irrelevant, unless the owner or their representative told you not to take pictures, in which case you should have desisted.

Still don't see a reason why, having taken the pictures, you need permission to put them on a website
uggyy 12 2.1k 9 Scotland
21 Apr 2009 3:00AM
A simple question to the organisers could save a lot of problems.

Yes I hate the fact you need to play it safe with things like this and it makes photographers feel like they have to tread carefully... constantly

But for peace of mind, if it was me, I would check the small print on the clubs rules with regards or you might find due to other members complaining about photos on a web site and a general ban on any other people taking photos at any future events.
StrayCat 14 19.1k 3 Canada
21 Apr 2009 5:48AM
I'm with Stolzy here. If photography wasn't permitted, then they should have advised people. If you photograph a kids soccer match, or hockey game, I don't think permission to use the photos is required. What about local newspapers publishing photos of kids events, they do it commercially.
stolzy 12 3.8k 7
21 Apr 2009 7:16AM
GCF 9 2
21 Apr 2009 11:07PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.

strawman 14 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2009 11:13PM
Check the back of the ticket, it should tell you about photography, if not contact the organiser. If on private land in the UK you do not have automatic rights to photography.
StephenPoole 9 10 1 United Kingdom
27 May 2009 11:58AM
I photographed students from a college on a sailing and canoeing event and I had to get model release forms signed.

In this day and age you might be asked for a recent CRB check when it comes to photographing children
pepperst 10 2.3k 4 Wales
27 May 2009 12:09PM
Play it safe and contact the organisers to find out what their policy on the day was, ie, is there a clause in the entrance form that states pictures will/may be taken and that they will be reproduced unless the parent/guardian states otherwise.

I have photographed a lot of children in various projects from school trips to rugby clubs and have never got model releases forms signed as on each occasion the parents had allowed the organisation to 'vet' or manage photographers. (Although I always have forms, nspcc and rfu certificates, press pass and example images on me)

If you are selling the images there might be a different problem but for use on a website I doubt there is an issue but play safe.
stolzy 12 3.8k 7
27 May 2009 1:43PM

Quote:In this day and age you might be asked for a recent CRB check when it comes to photographing children

Why would a (presumably) amateur photographer have a CRB check? Who would do it? Its not necessary and not even obtainable unless you work for an organisation who can have them undertaken.
You can't just walk into your local post-office and ask for one!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.