Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Spyder4 PRO

BrianSS 12 400 39 England
19 Aug 2017 9:47AM
First of all I have never calibrated my monitor! Even though I have never calibrated I have always been happy with the results, winning many club competitions. However I did think I should calibrate it.

I borrowed a Spyder4 PRO and calibrated my monitor and whether it's something I have done wrong or not, I don't know, but I'm not happy with the result, how do I revert to how the monitor looked before the calibration? My monitor now has a slight yellow cast from the top but that cast is not there towards to bottom . . . help. I have tried to contact my friend but I guess he's abroad now.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE 14 7.5k 18 England
19 Aug 2017 10:01AM
If you use an Apple computer go to:

Preferences>Displays>Color

You should get a list of profiles to pick from so perhaps go back to the default, which on my computer is iMac
19 Aug 2017 10:08AM
I have a PC with Windows 10.
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
19 Aug 2017 10:28AM
I did this once and ended up with a mauve cast. I reverted to a previous restore point and never used the calibrator again. I didn't need it in the first place.
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
19 Aug 2017 10:40AM

Quote:My monitor now has a slight yellow cast from the top but that cast is not there towards to bottom

Looks to me to be a monitor problem.
19 Aug 2017 10:44AM

Quote:Looks to me to be a monitor problem

I noticed it immediately after I calibrated the monitor, it wasn't there before. Sad
Railcam 12 738 2 Scotland
19 Aug 2017 10:58AM
On Win 10:
Click on the Settings Icon (a cog wheel)
Click on System
Click the down arrow in the box under Colour Profile which gives you a menu of all the display profiles. Choose a different one to the highlighted one to see if that corrects the problem.
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
19 Aug 2017 11:09AM

Quote:
Quote:Looks to me to be a monitor problem

I noticed it immediately after I calibrated the monitor, it wasn't there before. Sad

Or you just could not see it before ?

Are your video card drivers up to date
Tianshi_angie 4 2.4k England
19 Aug 2017 11:54AM
Right click on the screen when a programme is not visible i.e. your 'start' screen is showing and in the menu which displays it will have 'Display Settings'. Open this and following the instructions on the Spyder initial display - i.e. re set everything so that the spyder has a base to start from and proceed from there. The instructions are specific - the screen should have had at least half an hour to warm up, and there should be no direct light on the screen. The contrast etc should be returned to a base line. I think if you try again you should get a better result. The other thing I think to be wary of is that some PC's have built in calibration which is often 'good enough' - check that this is not the case with your set up.
19 Aug 2017 12:44PM
Thanks I'll try that.

I'm beginning to think now I wished I hadn't bothered! Blush
19 Aug 2017 5:06PM
Looking at your images in your profile on here I think it is possible that your screen does have natural calibration. If your screen was out of kilter then it would show in your uploaded images - for myself who calibrates my screen regularly (with Spyder4-pro) I would see a clear difference between yours and other folks images and there is nothing which stands out. The only query I would have in that respect is that a couple of images of yours where there is heavy water spray, that is looking a little yellow, but as this could be caused by sand in the water I can't be definite. You certainly have some wonderful images there - and what a choice of iconic settings you have accessed. Stunning.
19 Aug 2017 8:42PM
Tianshi_angie - thank you for your kind comments on my profile. Regarding the water spray images, I think you are correct about the sand content. There is definitely something wrong with "what I have done, or not done", looking at the before calibration and after I definitely prefer the before one! I have re-calibrated it twice more and it's no better. I tried the "start" button and all I see is "Settings", not "Display Settings, I didn't see Spyder initial display.

I now wish I hadn't bothered but I'm still not sure how to revert to how it was before. However over the next couple of days I'm hoping a friend will help me out who is more knowledgeable on this kind of thing than me. I'm sure I will get it sorted, I hope so!
19 Aug 2017 11:10PM
What I meant Brian is not the Start button but just your pointer in the middle of the screen and right click on the mouse. This will bring up a menu which includes 'Display Settings'.

273254_1503180527.jpg

This is a screen shot to explain what you should be seeing. There is nothing other than the desktop screen showing and when you right click in the middle of the screen that white menu displays.
20 Aug 2017 12:05PM
Tianshi_angie

Problem is now sorted . . . . I have sent you a message. Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.