St Georges Day

capto Plus
7 5.9k 13 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2017 9:08AM
St Georges Day.......does anyone care?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bluesandtwos 10 405 1 England
23 Apr 2017 9:33AM
Yes I do !Smile It's one of the few days it's ok to be overtly English without being looked upon as racist. Sad
MartinBrown 9 265 England
23 Apr 2017 10:08AM
Me also, i just wish the government would create a bank holiday for it. Every one else seems to have one for their national day. Grin
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
23 Apr 2017 11:18AM
I see Corbyn is proposing 4 new bank holidays on the patron saints' days. The whole of the UK will benefit from the days, even though they 'apply' to only one country.

However, with St. David's day on March 1st, St Patrick on March 17th and St. George on April 23rd, it is a ridiculous idea. We already have the Easter holidays in March/April, so British industry will suffer from being forced to close for four new days during these two months.

Far better to give every employee 4 extra days annual holiday and let them decide when to use them.
Chrism8 13 931 26 England
23 Apr 2017 1:26PM
IMO, Leave each part of the UK to have its own National day as a Bank Holiday, it doesn't need 4 additional days off each year, if your from another part of the UK and don't reside in your home territory, you'll have to partake on the day where you reside.
23 Apr 2017 2:37PM
Politicians will say anything to get elected, believe them at your peril.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
23 Apr 2017 8:22PM
I've heard some crackpot ideas but purleese! Why can't politicians get that what we want is the health service and education sorted out. Too difficult I suppose. Easier to bribe the masses that extra days off will keep us happy. I despair. Sad
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
23 Apr 2017 8:27PM
Have you heard of Peter's substitution ploy? We just ignore the real problem and deliver something easier but irrelevant.

Politicians have learned that they can often fool enough punters on enough occasions to get elected.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
23 Apr 2017 8:35PM

Quote:Have you heard of Peter's substitution ploy? We just ignore the real problem and deliver something easier but irrelevant.

Politicians have learned that they can often fool enough punters on enough occasions to get elected.

Wow, does anyone else know about this! Revolutionary.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
24 Apr 2017 7:31AM

Quote:I've heard some crackpot ideas but purleese! Why can't politicians get that what we want is the health service and education sorted out. Too difficult I suppose. Easier to bribe the masses that extra days off will keep us happy. I despair.

Let me get this straight; are you saying you don't want them to build a wall? I thought everybody
wanted one.Wink

Quote:St Georges Day.......does anyone care?

Newfoundland and Labrador care.Smile It says so on my calendar.
JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2017 7:43AM
The local Scouts, Cub, Beavers group chose this day to have a parade and repledge their vows of helping others and being good. Super sense of commitment and community. They acted out the St. George play brilliantly and played some games. Respect to the leaders who diligently give up their time to give the next generation some hope and purpose.
Happy St. George's day. A day to have a go at helping others by giving something.
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
24 Apr 2017 9:06AM
St George's Day is celebrated in many countries, as a Christian martyr. He was born in either Turkey or Palestine, of Greek descent, served in the Roman army and almost certainly never set foot in England. We celebrate him because he was put to death for refusing to recant his Christian beliefs.

As a symbol of a knight on horseback slaying a dragon, he's a potent emblem for nationalism, despite the aforementioned lack of any connection to England (don't tell Britain First, they'll have a heart attack) and I like seeing our town decked out in flags. Is he really relevant in today's society?

I'd prefer to see something dedicated to someone who made a real contribution to the country. Isaac Newton day, or maybe Darwin Day. Or better still. Brunel Day, then we can spend all day singing our old University drinking song: "Isam, Isam, Isambard Kingdom Brunel. BRUNEL!" *

(* drink at least 5 pints before starting)
Adey_Baker 5 19 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2017 10:26AM

Quote:

...I'd prefer to see something dedicated to someone who made a real contribution to the country...

How about that Shakespeare chap? When's his birthdayWinkGrin
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
24 Apr 2017 10:36AM

Quote:
Quote:

...I'd prefer to see something dedicated to someone who made a real contribution to the country...

How about that Shakespeare chap? When's his birthdayWinkGrin

April 26 (1564) is the date he was baptised. Actual birthdate is unknown.
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
24 Apr 2017 10:45AM

Quote:Politicians have learned that they can often fool enough punters on enough occasions to get elected.

56 out of a possible 59.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.