'Portrait Photography' Competition - Win A Samyang 85mm F/1.4 FE II Lens!

Starblitz Pro-5000 GTZ-Twin & Metz systems

muzzeyman 18 293 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2004 3:47PM
I'm currently using a Starblitz Pro-5000 GTZ-Twin hammerhead flash on my EOS 5 when doing wedding photography. I recently purchased a D60 digital, and although the Starblitz works fine when connected through the pc socket I have to set aperture & shutter speed manualy.

I'm thinking of buying a Metz (CT or CL system hammerhead), and was wondering if there was a SCA connector that will work with my D60 and give TTL flash capabilities. I've checked the Metz website site and apparantly there is a SCA connectoid that I can get, but was interested to see if any one out there had a similar setup?

I would also be very interested also to hear from anyone who has the Starblitz Pro-5000. I'ver scoured the web and can find nothing about what I consider to be a very good flash gun indeed. As ever any help would be 'mucho grano' :o)
drumsheart 11 1 Canada
27 Dec 2010 7:04PM
The Starblitz Pro-5000 was also distributed by Hanimex as the Hanimex PZ4200.

I used the Hanimex model for years back in the late 1970s through the 80s and into the 1990s. It out lasted two Metz hammerheads and an on camera Vivitar and aHoneywell/Pentex Potatoe Masher. It was dropped and it's head was broken off then stuck back on with some epoxey glue and Black gaffers/duct tape and continued working well into the 90s with only the of it's left-right twist, I could still use it's tilt for bounce lighting. It now sits proudly on a display shelf in my home/office along with a 1963 Nikormat FT, a Pentex SP 1000 from the 1970s, a (mini) Rollei 35 and on original Ashiflex 35mm from about 1950. All still in working condition. It's my retirment home for equipment that served me well.

In the late 1990's I found a gently used the Starblitz Pro-5000 (minus it's original multi- dedicated sync. cable) in a local camera shop and snapped it up right away. I don't know if Starblitz tookover Hanimex and continued that model or if it was a genaric flash manufactured for different distrubutors who gave it their own model names and numbers. How ever it was done the flash was superb, a very under-rated piece of equipment, over shadowed by the big names like Metz, Rollei, Vivitar etc.

By then I was no longer working in photography but still had all my photo gear including 3 Nikons (1977 vintage), I've used since then. I still did the odd photo shoot, but I left photography to to return to being a full-time musician. It's December 27of 2010 and I was just gifted with my first digital SLR, a Canon EOS D-400 and I'm just starting to experiment with the old Starblitz.

I still have the original multi-dedicated sync. cable that came with the Hanimex flash. I think it must have been one of the earliest multi-dedicated flashes on the market. The cable has a large and small vertical bar (similar to a North American electrical plug) with a horizontal bar, containing two contact strips (probably to sync. the optional settings), set between the two other bars on the plug. The cable is about 20 inches long, with a switchable deignation hot-shoe mount on the camera side.

You can set the flash, via the mount to Standard (general non-dedicated), C/P (Canon/Pentex), M (Minolta) N (Nikon). I have found, so far, that setting the flash at the standard or C/P (Canon) setting seems to work well, with the camera (D-400) set to M (Manual) or Tv (shutter speed).
The hotshoe mount also has a test flash button and a spot to insert a mini-jack so that a longer sync cord could be used to trigger a remote Flash or studio strobe.

I'm amazed that such a lesser known flash has not only out-lived its more expensive competitors of the day, but 30 years later it works with the new generation of digital cameras.
The Hanimex PZ4200/ Starblitz Pro-5000... definatly a Pro.
27 Apr 2017 10:26PM
Hello, I have another Nikon D60 and that flash, the Starblitz Pro-5000 GTZ-TWIN .

If i connect this flash to my camera, will it work? Or the camera will break?
Thanks

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.