50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Starling display

SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
7 Nov 2007 10:31AM
Just a quick clip off the Beeb

Things like this almost move me to tears they're so beautiful. Anyone have any longer clips ? or know where I can find them?

Smile
Chris_H 17 1.5k 1
7 Nov 2007 12:03PM
Not got any clips but I do have a few pics when I get round to processing them.

At the moment there are loads of Starlings roosting on the River Ant on the Norfolk broads (more than in that clip) and they fly just a few meters above your head and all around you it truly is a magnificent sight and when you are close to them the noise is amazing.

Chris
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
7 Nov 2007 7:45PM
The old pier at Brighton used to be an excellent place to see them. Don't know whether they still do their thing there now that it has collapsed.

A few years ago one of the runners up in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year was a picture of the starlings at Brighton. Picture here - though it doesn't move !
Digicat 14 127
7 Nov 2007 7:53PM
they also like big reed beds so places like leighton moss, and martin mere are popular as well as some cities but I think a lot of cities have now netted roosting places.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/starling/roosting.asp

cant find much info on scotland though Smile
javam 16 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2007 8:34PM
I managed an image of a few at Brighton when I went to the Brighton meet earlier in the year, but have a good video and some photos from a large gathering At Otmoor near Oxford (and home) from a few weeks before.

Video is not web ready though, lasts about 40 minutes. Reminds me I should do something with it really.

A fantastic sight and worth seeking out.
BlindLemon 14 226
8 Nov 2007 8:27AM
Also on the Beeb is this great selection of video clips to accompany the series The Nature of Britian.

For the video of a mass gathering of rooks and other clips from around the UK from the same series use this link and then zoom in on the map.
To see the rooks click on the icon in Norfolk

It's what the Beeb does best, I think.
ItsOurYear 16 183 England
8 Nov 2007 9:27AM
Deviating off topic a little here - sorry!

Quote:Also on the Beeb is this great selection of video clips to accompany the series The Nature of Britian.

It's what the Beeb does best, I think.

It amazes me that "The Nature of Vision" wasn't filmed in High Definition. The Beeb have been using it for a number of years now, and have been spectacularly successful with "Planet Earth" and "The Blue Planet" - if they can show "Antiques Roadshow " in Hi Def, why not "The Nature of Britain"?
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
8 Nov 2007 10:32AM
Can't get the clip but North pier in Blackpool is freaky at dusk.. like this
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
8 Nov 2007 12:25PM

Quote:Can't get the clip but North pier in Blackpool is freaky at dusk..like this

and this

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.