WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Starting Editorial / Corp Photography

JonR 13 26
18 Mar 2007 8:48PM
Hi All,

I'm in the long slow process of changing my career, aspiring to be making the majority of my cash through photography within a few years.

I've mainly been concentrating on weddings at the moment, as, rightly or wrongly, that seems to be more available than other kinds of work.

However, the kind of photos I enjoy taking are the more corporate / press types (environmental portraits, setting up shots, thinking on your feet etc. - yes I know there's this in a wedding as well).

Is anyone here a working press photographer? Did you go to college first? Is that the main way in? Only way in? If not, do people have any suggestions how to get a foot in the door?

And lastly, do I have to move to London?

Thanks in advance!

Jon
jskazza 13 23 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 11:03AM
Hi Jon

I currently work as a press photographer in Birmingham and it can be a tricky career to get into.
A lot of wannabe press snappers usually enroll o the NTCJ photographic coarse at Sheffield University it has become one of the Industry Standard qualifications employers look for.
....but saying that a lot of pictured editors will look more at the experience you have and quality and variety of your pics.
You may leave University with all the qualifications you can achieve but bnot many pics and if in an interview situation the person you are up against has more experience they will get it straight away (luckily thats what happened to me).
Firstly I did 2 weeks Work Experience at the paper following one of their photographers around then I started doing local football matches for free (as long as i got a byline)and supplying them to the paper for them to use in their local sport supplement.
Eventually they started asking me to cover other jobs e.g news events, features etc which gave me a lot of experience and helped me build up my portfolio with a good variety of images.
The best thing is get out there and do it look for local events happening in your area, always keep your camera with you, you never know whats around the next corner (crashes,fires,armed sieges,murder scenes) these are the things newspapers are looking for.
I would contact the picture editors of all your local papers asking for work experience and see if you can shadow one of their photographers for a week or so.

So no you dont need to goto college.

and no you dont need to move to london.

Cheers Jason

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.