50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Starting out in digital photography

anon 18 31
10 Aug 2001 8:11AM
Can anyone suggest a good entry level digital camera?
Big Bri 19 16.7k United Kingdom
31 Aug 2001 10:47PM
It depends very much on what you want to do with the pictures. If you only want digital photos for web use, virtually any digital camera will produce reasonable results.
If you want really good quality prints, you are stuck with the question you get from disreputable computer dealers - "How much do you want to spend ?" Digital cameras are still very much at the stage of development where you get what you pay for. For good quality prints you want to be looking for 3 megapixels or over.
Leo 19 48 9 England
5 Dec 2001 11:19AM
I agree with everything said by B Pryce. Any of the better known manufacturers provide models which produce excellent results in the 3 mega pixel range. I've owned three of the Nikon ranges as they produced improved models and been delighted with each one, the other well known brands have just as much going for them but I happen to lean to Nikon, to the extent I have also bought my wife one of their models, the 700, which has been upgraded now. I use the 995 myself, which provides ultra sharp results but you may not wish to go to that price. I think you should be prepared to part with something in the order of 300 UK pounds to gain good results for printing up to A4 size.
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2008 2:33AM
5D Will be going cheep soon
SandyMiller 15 932 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2008 7:51AM

Quote:5D Will be going cheep soon

A mere spring chicken too...

(sorry - couldn't resist Smile)
jondf 14 2.8k
9 Nov 2008 10:24AM

Quote:5D Will be going cheep soon

Isn't that putting the chicken before the egg, Andy? Wink
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
9 Nov 2008 1:29PM
Chickens don't 'cheep' - they 'cluck'! Wink
Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2008 1:32PM

Quote:Chickens don't 'cheep' - they 'cluck'!

Aha but not when they're just starting out.......then they cheep Wink
9 Nov 2008 1:36PM
They are 'chicks' at that stage of life! Wink
Barbaraj 14 450 England
9 Nov 2008 1:36PM
Hi Anon ,

I had a pocket digital and replaced it with a Pentax K 100D. It has 6 megapixels. This produced prints bigger than A4. I looked for a camera that felt comfortable to use and handle. I also looked within my price range.

There is the cost of battery chargers, batteries and memory cards to think of too.
jondf 14 2.8k
9 Nov 2008 2:10PM
Can't you cheep to the point, Barbara? Wink
9 Nov 2008 2:17PM
Thought she was..!!!
Paintman Plus
14 1.5k 180 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2008 3:27PM
It does seem a strange question to ask from someone who's been on the site for five years.

If you want an entry level dslr, then I'd suggest getting a second hand Canon 20D or 30D. The same goes for the older Nikon models too. These are excellent cameras and as they're deemed 'old technology' then their value is very low as everyone is being seduced by the sleek shiney new models ( myself included).

Both these camera manufacturers make complete systems of outstanding lenses and accessories for their cameras. It is generally seen that the quality of the lens makes the most difference to the quality of an image, with less CA and distortion and better colour, contrast and bokeh. This is probably where your money should be spent.

You will quickly out-grow a very basic camera and start to desire something with more quality and features. I would suggest the camera you choose should have complete manual control, as well as aperture and shutter priority modes.

The Canon 20D was considered the best camera in its class when it was released and for semi-pro use. It has a metal body and is very robust. A camera like this would help you learn very quickly and, if you develop further, you can add quality lenses and a tripod, etc., if you wish. This camera is now very cheap for its quality.

Alan.
9 Nov 2008 4:15PM

Quote:It does seem a strange question to ask from someone who's been on the site for five years.
Its a very, very old thread.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
9 Nov 2008 4:23PM

Quote:Its a very, very old thread.

Loads of very old threads popping up... Andy's camera must be brocken and he is bored Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.