Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Still only an amateur

brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2004 3:58PM
K, please find the confidence to keep on posting critiques, both for yourself and the rest of us.

Learning to give useful negative as well as positive feedback is an important tool in developing both your photographic and inter-personal skills.

You couldn't find a safer environment to do this than here (except maybe on one of my training courses - but I don't do those now Smile

You have a definite photographic talent (you must know that by now) and a lot to contribute here

Brian
Denise 19 279
11 Oct 2004 5:31PM
K, your images are so different and wonderful. I wish I had your imagination. A lot of the forum members, myself included are enthusastic amateurs, but what difference does that make to knowing if you like an image or not? and seeing from an individual perspective how an image could be improved? Please don't give up, you have a talent - use it!
heidilee 16 901
11 Oct 2004 7:25PM
K, Your work is outstanding. And as for your amateur status, I know loads of pros whos portraits look so stale and boring.

I've seen many photos from a remaining nameless company here in NZ, that take regular, photos of the family, school photos etc, that lack the imagination and class of yours, so why stop critiquing when others can learn from you.

You may be unsure of the technical stuff (as am I!! only just grasped the slr concepts and they go release dslr's!) but knowing all the technical stuff doesn't make you a good photographer, as there are so many other elements to a great photo.

Don't give up! You will only be letting yourself down. You are very good at this and the self doubt wil always be there if you let it.

Keep up the fabulous portraits that us fellow ePziners know and love! (Oh and those 'shrooms of yours!!;o)

Heidi
11 Oct 2004 8:01PM
Oh my, thank you so much, I feel really awful now because it sounds like I was after sympathy, which is not the case. I have been doubting myself and more my ability to progress, or even sustain the creativity I hope I have achieved so far but I was also worried that with the amount of new faces and those with the ability to learn quickly that my comments could be seen as meddling or unknowledgeable. I only wish I'd discovered photography years ago before the grey cells started declining. Thank you all once again. K.
Mari 17 1.8k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2004 8:44PM
Hi K - You do wonderful portraits - something I am hopeless at but would love to have a go at. If I could get a portrait to look half as good as any of those in your portfolio, I would welcome all the constructive help you have to give to produce a good image. Smile

Mari
Tonyd3 16 1.1k 18 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2004 9:40PM
K i used to feel just like you and lacked confidence in my own pictures. Then i sent some to a magazine and by god was i suprised! they printed 10 in one issue i dont feel that i have looked back since then but i wish i had 3 of the most viewed KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK i value youre comments and it sounds like everyone else does too, so dont stop
a11sus 17 568 Northern Ireland
11 Oct 2004 9:50PM
I know I tried to put a smile on your face but I really do like your stuff.

Some of your portraits are exactly what I want to produce and I would love to know how you process them. When people ask you how you do something then it is because you are good at it and you have something to pass on. I know all about self doubt though and it can be very destressing and destructive.

Cling to the number of clicks you get! I'd give my shutter clicking finger to have that amount of people think my photos were good!
11 Oct 2004 10:27PM
Thank you Mari I have two quite agreeable kids so makes it easier, Tony thank you too I wish I had your expertise, Susan, you did, feel much better now but still wish I was coming to Ireland Wink.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.