Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Stitching photos

JulieR 15 28 England
19 Mar 2007 9:54PM
Hi Guys/Gals

Sorry if this is an old question but can anyone reccommend a programme to stitch photos together. I am using windows xp and photoshop 7.
Many thanks in advance Julie .
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Mar 2007 10:02PM
Autostich Julie - and it's free!
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
19 Mar 2007 10:10PM
I find Autopano Pro works superbly.
looboss 14 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2007 11:14PM
I find PTgui quite good, simple and effective.
amccartney 18 83 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 12:32AM

Quote:Autostich Julie - and it's free!

Agree totally on this one, used it just recently and achieved fantastic results, (obviously mainly because of my stupendous photography in the first place!!) lol

But honestly give it a try, it's free!
mjsayles 15 1.0k
20 Mar 2007 9:04AM
I've been using Autostitch for many months now, and the results are very good. I've had huge panoramic prints (48" + on the long side) made from Autostitch panos and they're extremely good.
mshepherd 17 667 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2007 11:00AM
Generally Autostitch does a good job but it doesn’t allow much user intervention – if you get a difficult image there is little you can do to force a stitch.

I use PTgui and this can handle Tiffs as inputs and output 16 bit files in a various formats

An alternative to PTgui is Hugin which is free

hugin.sourceforge.net/

It gets good reviews (I haven’t used it myself but its another front end for "Panorama tools" which is the engine that PTgui uses)

If I found hugin first I would have probably have tried this before buying anything else.

IMHO having the ability to run an automatic stitch and then fine tune (eg override moving objects) it and choose the blending algorithm is invaluable – PTgui can then stitch the image into a layered PSD file for a final cleanse something lacking in Autostitch

If you become serious about panoramic then realviz might also be worth a look but this will be a (big) step up in software costs and I PTgui can do a similar job for much less cash.

If you are only doing the odd panoramic, Stitch using Autostitch until you reach its limitations. If you find you need something more powerful with a user interface and the ability to override and tweak settings then look @ any of the above tools (they can all be downloaded as trial versions to demo them)
JulieR 15 28 England
21 Mar 2007 1:21PM
Wonderful people you are! Thank you for all your advice, i will give autostitch a go Smile
_Helena_ 14 596 1 United States
22 Mar 2007 7:43PM
I just downloaded autostitch.. and it says demo version, and is not working properly at all. i can't see the images that i've loaded, and it says 'one moment, stitching' and then a dos command screen pops up and then nothing.

Just a heads up. Maybe it's a bad download or something, but I suppose you get what you pay for in this instance.

Going to give hugin a try and see if that turns out any better for me.

*edit

I tried another download of autostitch and now it's working fineSmile I must've had a service interruption or something during the first attempt.
DunDiggin 14 64 2 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 2:17PM
To paraphrase my posting in another thread:

I posted a guide to installing and using the latest version of Hugin recently on the DSLR User magazine website (www.dslruser.co.uk).

If you're interested, it's in the DSLR United section under Imaging Techniques.
stevekhart 15 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2007 3:27PM
Excellent, thanks Andrew. Just did my first pano with Hugin and it looks a lot better than the CS3 autostitch. Your tutorial is well written - you should add it to the techniques section on here.
_Helena_ 14 596 1 United States
12 Jul 2007 11:10PM
I second the above^^
thefatcat44 14 82
13 Jul 2007 3:11PM
I have just used the new pano feature in CS3 and it is superb - but CS3 is hugely expensive so unless you are buying it for all the other features I would go for one of the other options already given.
DunDiggin 14 64 2 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2007 3:47PM
Hello stevekhart and HelenaB - thanks for the vote of confidence.

I checked for restrictions on my posting the article on this website too; couldn't find any, so will amend it slightly and post it.

Cheers

Andrew
Bridgelayer 14 758 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2007 7:49PM
I use Roxio Photosuite 8. There's no problem adjusting the photos manually if Auto isn't good enough, and it's a doddle for the adjustment of angles. When I've sorted out my last 500 shots, I'll try and find time to post a couple.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.