Zoner Photo Studio X: The only photo editor you'll ever need - save 25%

Stock photography

nj 17 27
12 Aug 2004 11:00AM
can somone recomend a good all round stock company?
hglover 17 47 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 11:06AM
try this one
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 11:07AM
there's loads of them - see Here for a sample
svengali_uk 17 470
12 Aug 2004 11:30AM
I submitted images to Alamy several weeks ago. I thought the CD had been lost, but when I checked, they had received it, but had not got round to looking at it.
Looks like they are the 7day shop of the agency world.
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 11:48AM
they do say that it can take up to 14 working days to process CD's - they are also a bit behind because they are overhauling the submissions system
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
12 Aug 2004 11:59AM
Jeremy,

Which stock libraries do you have experience of that turn around submissions in just 3 working weeks !

Most libraries take 3 months to process submissions and another 3 to sart marketing them...

At least with Alamy your stock is online and being marketed in under a month !

Mike
ngeeves 18 118 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2004 1:27PM
You could also take a look at Ozimages a stock library with a difference sorry don't know how to do the links so here is their web address

www.ozimages.com.au/
John_Duckett 17 386 2 Norfolk Island
12 Aug 2004 2:22PM
I posted a CD to Alamy on Mon 2nd August, they received it the following day. Tuesday this week they processed it, accepted yesterday and today I'm key wording it so that tomorrow they'll be for sale on the website.

I can only speek as i find, Excellent.

John
svengali_uk 17 470
12 Aug 2004 4:25PM
Photographers Direct do a pretty fast & thorough job. I approached them AFTER I sent off to Alamy, and I have had my own portfolio up & running for about three weeks - or more. It is not because they blindly accept everything, as I did have a couple of images rejected. I get "required images" update several times daily, and it does give me a feeling of confidence in their operation.
Alamy have said that CDs submitted before they started their new system are still being processed the old way. Maybe, but it does seem as if they are only bothered about their new system, and b***** the poor sods who submitted under the old one.
browne 17 127
12 Aug 2004 8:06PM
My Alamy submissions in May and June took more than a month to process and my most recent received by them on 22 July is still in the system somewhere.

Alamy, in my experience at least, tend to slow down in all respects during the summer months & around UK Public Holidays. Could be something to do with staffing difficulties at their way-out-of-town industrial estate location.
shed 17 586 England
12 Aug 2004 8:45PM
Have any of you actually sold anything on Alamy? I just joined and was wondering. Also how often do they send their photo 'wanted list'

Andy
ejtumman 17 2.8k England
12 Aug 2004 8:58PM
Alamy want images of at least 48mb and suggest taking pics on a digital camera of at least 17mb.

My 4 megapixel camera only takes about 2-3 mb on the highest quality setting. What camera will take 17mb images?
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
12 Aug 2004 9:09PM
Hi

Any 6MP camera (Canon 10D and 300D, Nikon D100, D70 etc) takes a 17MB TIFF when loaded into Photoshop or similar - don't confuse this with the compressed saved file on your memory card or hard disk.

Mike
ejtumman 17 2.8k England
12 Aug 2004 9:36PM
Ok,

TIFFS seem to be higher quality than JPEGS. My 4 megapixel seems to save TIFFS as 11mb in PS7. If I change it to 300dpi it goes up to 30mb.

Is there anyway to increase the size of the image without losing too much quality?

Emma
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
12 Aug 2004 9:39PM
Emma,

If you use the PS interpolation or Genuine Fractals you will get an increase in size with some loss of quality - it depends on how much you upsize, and obviously the original quality of the shot.

I would suggest you try to upsize to about 50MB and see what the image looks like to determine if it will be sufficient....

Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.