Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Stock photography

bigbed 17 21 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2004 9:14AM
Just curiosity more than anything (my photos are nowhere near good enough to sell) - when giving a photo to an agency to sell, do you give them your 'best' crop/processing of the photo, or do you leave it more 'raw' in case the buyer wants to treat it differently?
Tim
browne 17 127
16 Aug 2004 9:22AM
If you're selling transparencies they'd need to be the very best - because you're up against the very best.

With an agency like Alamy it's very obvious that contributors have on occasion cropped images to create a good or better composition. However, the file size still needs to be 48Mb or greater though.

Alamy used to accept non-interpolated images and offered an upsizing option to picture buyers. This changed not so long ago and the onus is now on the contributor.

Ed
FrankThomas 18 2.8k United Kingdom
16 Aug 2004 9:23AM
don't process 'em (don't even sharpen.) You can crop it before submission but that's about all (unless it's a heavily manipulated image that is)
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
16 Aug 2004 11:57AM
This is probably a very silly question, but if one took a JPEG image and resaved it as a TIFF interpolated up to the specified size would the agency actually be able to tell - using technical means - it was interpolated and, also, not originally a TIFF?

Other than guesswork because of quality, of course.
16 Aug 2004 12:02PM
you can't tell (other than quality obviously) that somethings been interpolated. My photos come off the camera as TIFF files and are then photoshopped and submitted as TIFF. The only time it's a JPEG is before I download from the camera
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
16 Aug 2004 12:08PM
Right, so basically you can do what you like to an image and provided it has been upsized to 48Mb or whatever it would not be rejected?

As to sharpening, all digital images are sharpened to one degree or another. So how could an agency reject an image on the grounds it had been "sharpened"?
16 Aug 2004 12:32PM
it'll only be rejected by Alamy if it fails QC. They are referring to the application of USM rather than in camera (assuming there is any)
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2004 1:19PM
One general point about what sells (re: Tim saying he is not good enough).

Every single photograph that you take could be just what a picture buyer is looking for. On this basis, the author is probably the last person to make a sound judgement about saleability. Just go for it.

With regard to rejection by Alamy. They are obviously keen to maintain high standards for everyone's benfits (and here I am talking about image quality not subject matter).

Shapening of images is always a problem because we each of us have a different perception of what looks 'right'. The buying customer will generally have a different perception to you and in any case, you have no idea of what the buyer has in mind for an image so any 'manipaulation' of this type is best left to the buyer. In any event, many major publishign houses have a 'stock routine' they go through with all images they use so if you sharpen your image, it may well end up being sharpened again and look horrendous which may result in the picture not being used or your work never being used again. It is better everyone applies the same rules hence no sharpening.

There is no problem with exposure control however and you will be expected to supply the image suitable colour corrected etc.

Finally - dust. It is not so much of an issue with images captured digitally as it is with those that are scanned but regardless - the image files must be spotted otherwise the whole batch (i.e. the entire contents of one CD) will be rejected.

Barrie Smile
bigbed 17 21 United Kingdom
16 Aug 2004 1:31PM
Thanks for the clarification. I still think I need more practice before anything decent comes out of my camera!
Tim

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.