Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

Storing 5D MKII Batteries

SGIBBONS 11 56 1 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2010 12:58PM
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well !

Just wanted to ask a quick question. I have long periods of not using my 5DMKII camera (upto 2-3 months) and was wondering whats the best way of storing the batteries. Should i leave them to completely run down from my last shoot or should i keep them fully charged whilst not in use ?
There is probably something about this in the instructions somewhere that ive overlooked, but i couldnt see anything specific about this.

thanks for you time and help !

Sam Smile
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
2 Jul 2010 1:53PM
This type of battery is not that fussy and you can top just before use; you do not have to discharge as with earlier batteries. I use two genuine Canon batteries and tend to swap in the previously charged spare battery before a shoot and recharge the battery I remove from the camera to become the spare. You can fully charge these batteries within about 2 hours. I cannot imagine that I go any longer than 1 month between shoots. So if you have waited as long as 3 months it might pay to recharge both batteries (assuming you have two) before a shoot.

Dave
mattw 16 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2010 2:11PM
I don't think you should have too many problems with leaving the batterys for this period of time.

Take the battery out of the camera when 'in storage', and give them a fresh charge before you use the camera again
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
2 Jul 2010 5:25PM
In theory the modern batteries are best stored long term at around 40% charge level but it is really splitting hairs and totally unnessecary.
Charge them right up, chuck 'em in your bag and forget about them. Even if it's a couple of months before you come to use them they will still be showing 95% or more.

I tend to use a battery until it dies completely (normally about 7 -10 days) and then put a new one in. If I think I may be away from power for longer than 2 weeks I will charge up all my batteries then worst case scenario I use 1 body and have 4 batteries which should go a month easily, probably 5 - 6 weeks if you are careful.

The only thing to be mindful of if you are to take your camera batteries out if storing thenm for a long time is that the clock etc. is then being powered by the small backup button cell in the camera. I know my 1D3's are user changeable but I believe that some cameras require a technician to change the backup battery which could be a pain if it runs out. For this reason I would probably leave the main battery IN even if you are storing the camera for a long time.
SGIBBONS 11 56 1 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2010 11:27AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

All the best

Sam Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.