Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Strange ephotozine warning message

rhody 15 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 4:53PM
I dip into epz on my desktop, laptop and smartphone. They are all covered by the same "Total" Internet and Virus security package - Kaspersky and have been for over 2 years.
However, over the last few days I am getting random "Warning" messages, on my desktop only, from Kaspersky telling me to leave the epz site immediately as is it is "not safe to continue viewing the site" and that "Criminals might be trying to access my computer".
The warnings do not appear on my phone or laptop. The laptop is running Windows 7 and the desktop Windows 10.
It's irritating more than anything but I don't understand what is tripping the "Warning" message in the first place.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

9 Jul 2018 5:12PM
You could have malware or a virus on your Windows 10 computer or even spyware. Try downloading Malwarebytes if you havent got it already and installing it and also spybot search and destroy . Then run both of these programmes and see if they pick up anything. Even Kaspersky can miss stuff if it's not updated for example and some thnigs can still get through even with antivirus.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.1k 58 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 5:47PM
I run Sophos and don't see any such messages, some of the 3rd party adverts on the site might sometimes trigger alerts, though not personally seen any for a while now.
Tianshi_angie 3 2.1k England
9 Jul 2018 6:53PM
I would agree with running Malware Bytes - like Stuart I have had no warnings, running AVG.
franken Plus
15 4.6k 4 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2018 7:02PM
Nothing detected by running avast and malwarebytes.

banehawi Plus
14 1.8k 3903 Canada
9 Jul 2018 7:06PM
Report this to the EPZ team; scroll down to contact us at the bottom right of the page
9 Jul 2018 7:29PM
Thank you Umberto, JackAllTog & Tianshi angie - much appreciated.

As far as knowledge of computers, malware and spyware are concerned - let's just say I lament the passing of the carrier pigeon.

However, I have just run a full system scan through Kaspersky. It scanned 436,917 files with "No threats detected".

I will download and try Malware Bytes now and see if there is a latent problem Kaspersky is missing.

Thank you all for your comments - I really appreciate it.
9 Jul 2018 7:42PM
Wow guys - thank you.

I download and installed Malware Bytes in seconds. Very easy to download and install. I carried out a full system scan of my computer and it too said "No threats detected".

All your advice and help have given me peace of mind now.

However, I am very curious about what is triggering these random "Warning" messages when I visit the epz website.

If you all start to receive emails from me needing money urgently in Nigeria or such like - please let me know.

Thank you all once again.
9 Jul 2018 7:50PM

Quote:Report this to the EPZ team; scroll down to contact us at the bottom right of the page

Done - thank you
12 Jul 2018 5:37PM
I'm still waiting for this warning message to reappear. It would sometimes appear randomly whilst I was on the site using it, not just when I first accessed it.
I have double checked that the Windows 10 and Kaspersky software is completely up to date and it is.
If it happens again, I will take a screen shot and send it to the team.
It's like taking your car to the garage with a fault. It never happens when you want it to.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.