Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

street photography

TonyBrooks 10 76 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2016 10:11PM
Hi could someone help me to settle am argument on street photograph
Do you permissions from those you take shots of in the street?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
5 Apr 2016 10:13PM
Yes and no, it all depends Smile
TonyBrooks 10 76 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2016 10:16PM
Depends on what?
5 Apr 2016 10:29PM
It depends on what I want, it might be a candid, it might be a portrait or it might be something else.

I haven`t done much in a while but I`m pretty open and friendly, permissions come in different ways, your body language can say a lot.

meyeview 10 1.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2016 10:29PM

i've never asked if it was ok.
5 Apr 2016 10:42PM
What is your friend saying then ?
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
5 Apr 2016 11:20PM
You can photograph people you can see from a public place (or a private place you own, your company, shop, home) without needing their permission. Doesn't matter if you're using a DSLR, a phone or CCTV.

Permission only matters regarding certain types of publication of the photos.
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 3 England
6 Apr 2016 8:55AM
I am a keen Street Photographer ( see my portfolio) for candid shots, no permissions are required....I am also doing an ongoing ....Street Portrait...project, where I do stop complete strangers, to engage them in conversation as I shoot.
If a potential subject declines, (rare) I politely thank them and leave.....if they agree, I always give them my card explaining my project, and that any photograph of them may be used in a publication, competition, or online in a forum; they will also receive digital JPEG copies if they email for them.

I feel, that by accepting then reading my card, then don't react negatively they have agreed to cooperate.

Like this agreeable character ....

My advice, it to approach with a smile, and a little polite banter.....Hobbo

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2016 1:09PM
I'd guess yesterdays "Shoot from the Hip" photo's were mostly without any permission - I know mine were Smile
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
6 Apr 2016 3:11PM
Tony, people are under the illusion that you can't photograph in public without permission from people. Rather than trying to prove that you can, simply ask your friend to point out a single law that prohibits it. Their likely knee-jerk response is to say it's "covered by Data Protection", get the act up on screen and tell them to point out the section that forbids. There isn't one. They might talk about Privacy legislation, again, ask them to show you.

The onus is on them to provide proof.

If you feel in need of some ammo though Here's some information on the subject from a serving Police Officer who polices the police

ttiger8 4 159 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2016 4:51PM
I think there are two issues here, one the right of the photographer to take the picture and secondly the rights of the person and their property who is being photographed.

Personally for point 1 I think it is pretty clear that there is no restriction to take a photo where photography is not restricted under English Law.

For point 2, the restriction lies within Article 8, Right to respect for private and family life, of the European Convention on Human Rights which is enshrined in the Human Rights Act 1988. But photography is seen as an art form and could fall under article 10, Freedom of thought, conscience and religion, of the same convention.

So in summary, it seems that it is not unlawful to take photos where you are not restricted from doing so but an individual could object sighting the Human rights act 1988 if they considered their rights to privacy was being encroached on but the photographer could then use article 10 as a defence Smile
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
6 Apr 2016 6:42PM
Common sense and courtesy. Hobo has it right.
peterjones 17 4.9k 1 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2016 7:33PM
2955_1459967726.jpg

Also go by your instincts; if for some unfathomable reason a situation doesn't feel right it probably isn't.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
6 Apr 2016 7:42PM
I recently took shots of people at a large railway station with a friend. We did get permission from the security staff and were issued with badges. For wide views you obviously could not ask people and they would probably not be recognisable. We also took shots of individuals but did speak to them and showed them what we were doing panning and low speed so in-camera blurred shoots. In the couple of hours we were there only one person did not wish to cooperate but the rest were happy to walk up and down a few times for us including a policeman on duty. As we are amateurs, we will not be commercially exploiting these images. On the whole the public are OK about street photography if you are open and friendly and accept and respect the occasional no.

Dave
6 Apr 2016 10:30PM

Quote:Tony, people are under the illusion that you can't photograph in public without permission from people. Rather than trying to prove that you can, simply ask your friend to point out a single law that prohibits it. Their likely knee-jerk response is to say it's "covered by Data Protection", get the act up on screen and tell them to point out the section that forbids. There isn't one. They might talk about Privacy legislation, again, ask them to show you.

The onus is on them to provide proof.

If you feel in need of some ammo though Here's some information on the subject from a serving Police Officer who polices the police

A little common sense helps as well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.