Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Strobeam lights - Experience?

Britman 14 1.7k England
18 Mar 2012 11:07AM
Hi Guys,
I've been looking at investing in the new Strobeam EID G-5 lights because of the IGBT circuitry and the fact the flash duration is 1/9600s on the FP mode and that the light work of both mains and battery.

Anyway I'd like to know what's your experience with Strobeam products is like, are they well made, reliable, customer service. Are you happy with the units.

Thanks.
Mark.
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2012 1:06PM
Thats a small looking battery back for the studio head. i quess 1/9600s does not take much power.

If you do get them, i'd be keen to hear your comments.
Cheers
Stuart
Britman 14 1.7k England
20 Mar 2012 1:13PM
At present I'm trying to find the time to go to the HQ to test the lights out. I'm keen on them but have to weigh up the cost of them compared to say the Paul C Buff Einstein's and a Vagabond battery pack.
park my ferret 17 1.0k United Kingdom
20 Mar 2012 9:54PM
I Dont know if this helps you, but I'm doing a seminar using them this Sunday in Birmingham, there will be opportunities to try them out yourselves too if you'd like to. The seminar is £20 and bookable through the strobeam website.

I have been using the 250w light for location shots for a while now, and it seems to do the trick, but I have only briefly used the 500w ones and so I'm really looking forward to putting them to the test this Sunday Smile
Britman 14 1.7k England
20 Mar 2012 9:56PM
Are you happy with the build quality and reliability of the 250 units?
20 Mar 2012 10:08PM
Yes, so far. Obviously it's like anything ... If you drop it on concrete it's going to damage it, but I've been using it regularly for about 6 months now and it's never let me down so far.

The 250w heads are battery use only, but I believe the 500w heads can run off both mains and battery power so they can be used indoors as well as for locations
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
20 Mar 2012 11:05PM
Strobeam News at Focus

"Like the GE D400i, the StroBeam EID G-5 uses a standard Bowens S-fit bayonet accessory mount. However, it is packed with cool stuff like AC/DC (powerable via an optional lightweight battery pack) and IGBT circuitry. The G-5 has a “rather leisurely flash duration at full power” according to photographer Jonathan Ryan, but becomes much much faster at lower power settings. In high speed “FP” mode, it was measured to achieve an astonishing 1/9,600 second flash duration."
21 Mar 2012 1:00AM
That's right, but the FP mode is much lower power than the full power - that mode is meant to be where you need alot of flashes in a short time - in tests I saw them do at focus it was up to 6 flashes a second !
Britman 14 1.7k England
21 Mar 2012 1:07AM

Quote:That's right, but the FP mode is much lower power than the full power - that mode is meant to be where you need alot of flashes in a short time - in tests I saw them do at focus it was up to 6 flashes a second !

I defo want short flash duration. The review on their site said FP mode was 1/16th power that gives 1/9600s duration, very nice. But can't find info on what the duration is at 1/64th power. I have emailed them and will post back the reply.
duratorque 17 427 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 11:20AM
I've used the Strobean DL4 (400W/s)kit for the last few months and I am quite happy with it. For information, I have a mini review of my experience with the Strobeam DL4 at my blog here:

http://yattang.blogspot.de/2011/11/strobeam-dl4-update-7dayshop-umbrella.html

Quality wise, its not up to the level of Bowens, but OK for the price. Battery life is amazing for such a small unit. I have never ran out of power even shoot all day at 1/2 power.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.