WEX Deal: Save 500 on the Sony A7R Mark II

Strobist group started (Group forum)

johnnyboy114 11 231 106 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2011 10:26PM
Hi James

Interesting, as you can do it both ways....personally, I tend to give a "guestimate" of where to start and to meter for the sky is a good one....then to make the sky darker, stop down one or two....but I think you have the gist really. As you will remember, the shutter speed controls the ambient light, the aperture will control the flash....you could work your way up the flash power from the bottom of the scale as it doesn't really matter. I guess you just have to factor in the kind of DOF you want to get.....so, work around the effect you want and then just experiment with the flash power until you get it in the ball park. Take a few tests, read your histogram, adjust accordingly and shoot away....and yeah, all in manual, so you have complete control over both ambient and flash.....

You will be fine. Sounds like you already have a grasp of it...if you have a light meter, you COULD read it, but you will also (unless you have an expensive meter) get a lot of ambient light in the reading....I wouldn't bother personally and just stick to guestimates as strangely, I find it a touch more accurate.

This probably didn't help much, but as you seem to have good grasp of it, just go and have fun. You will make mistakes, for sure, but stick to the "rules" and you will soon get the gist...

Good luck and look forward to the results!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JamesGarfield 11 915 4 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2011 10:32PM
Thanks John, I'll see how it goes, watch this space for the results!
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
14 Jul 2011 7:05PM
M mode

not Tv

rest of it seems ok on a quick skim over rather than a detailed read
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
14 Jul 2011 8:47PM

Quote:You will be fine. Sounds like you already have a grasp of it...if you have a light meter, you COULD read it, but you will also (unless you have an expensive meter) get a lot of ambient light in the reading

What makes you think a cheaper meter will include ambient, lost me there.
14 Jul 2011 9:07PM
never used a flash meter for strobist, but do they have different settings? like "flash" and "normal"? no idea really, but would make sense....

lovely sunset happening... ah well, another one missed!
14 Jul 2011 9:15PM
A meter set to flash will just measure the strength of the flash, nothing else.
14 Jul 2011 9:28PM
cool - well there you go, they'd thought about it already Wink
14 Jul 2011 10:11PM
Sorry Paul, not so actually....there are Sekonics that will record ambient seperately by adjusting the shield around the sensor...its not "strictly" measuring both to be honest, but with the shield in different places when taking the readings, it will allow you to measure either directly from the flash/light source or you can measure with more ambient involved in the metering and it will give you more of an average, not an incidence light......I have used one and its quite a difference. Mind you, the meter was also about 400!!! lol! Smile
14 Jul 2011 10:17PM
Yeh I think I can set mine to do that, it has several different flash modes but I only use the mode that measures flash only.
14 Jul 2011 10:34PM
Yeah you can. They are very adjustable. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference the modes and the shield position could make. Just wish I could justify the cost as was a nice bit of kit
14 Jul 2011 10:42PM
be honest Johnny - would you use it that much?

I think once you get into strobisim, you kinda know a good start point for your settings based on the ambient

if it's bright, you need to kill the ambient and up the flash power... and vice versa
14 Jul 2011 10:47PM
I hardly use my meter for strobist stuff, its just not all that essential with modern digital camera`s, but I still find it useful in the studio.
14 Jul 2011 11:25PM
Totally agree with both of you. Would only use it in the studio. When I used it it was bright ambient light in the studio so was needed but for what I normally do (strobist), don't need it. But would love to do more and will be looking to do more studio stuff. Still couldn't justify it Wink
Kris_Dutson 17 8.2k 1 England
15 Jul 2011 9:06AM
Ok , joined. Smile

Here's a couple I've uploaded.

suzuki-grand-vitara-02.jpg

suzuki-grand-vitara-01.jpg
15 Jul 2011 9:12AM
Chris - can anyone guess what he plays in the band?

2 lights herre - brolly front left, bare light rear right

-mg-4576.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.