Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Strobist Kit

JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 1:43PM
Sound like another DIY project - perhaps even remarketed to others?
Not sure about values or polarity but:
metz.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bfgstew 13 668 105 England
6 Dec 2011 5:02PM
I think wireless would be better, it gives a bit more flexability.
But if i did go with wired, the only safe option is using optocouplers as they use a no voltage contact to trigger, much safer when using high voltages.
Montana5 10 57 3 Scotland
7 Dec 2011 12:50AM
I keep checking in here to see if anyone ever mentions using the Metz Hammerheads, so after reading Stewarts posts about his Metz Guns, I dug out my old gear, I have the 45CT-1, used it on my Olympus 35mm cameras, for what might be called semi pro stuff back in the eighties, it was an awesome gun with tremendous power, ideal for large groups, anyway before I got my studio lights back then I used the Metz mounted on a bracket off camera and one other small Flashgun near the subject connected to a photoelectric cell, you just plug the gun into the cell and stick the Cell onto the side of the Gun, tried it again tonight using the Cameras built in flash and it fires the Metz off no problem. Now I know this doesn't solve your main problem of initial trigger, but you could use this method to trigger the second Gun, or depending what effect you want, diffuse the Camera pop up slightly and let it trigger two slave cells, I'm sure these must be available on e-bay for next to nothing.

Picture doesn't show the standard socket which is on the flat sided front.

photoelectric-cell.jpg
BigRick 14 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2011 9:08AM
Thought I would post up the brackets I made, a bit last minute, for one of the grottos I did. Space was limited so needed a wall mount for the camera and sb-900, 5mm steel, and steel shaft turned on lathe to match light stand top. I bolted and screwed them to the wall and they were perfect for the one off job.
img-20111224-085956.jpg
JackAllTog Plus
3 Feb 2012 12:35PM
I wish someone made a moded standard flash mount (as on page one of this thread)
Something like this to lay the strobe down flat along the brolly pole so my ebay trigger can stick out the back.
flashm.jpg

I think i'll try taking the top of a standard mount and gluing on one of those sync pass through connectors.
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
3 Feb 2012 3:06PM
Lol my little Fuji X10, syncs at all speeds up to 1/4000 s Smile Smile

Is there no pc sync socket on that trigger of yours Stuart.
JackAllTog Plus
3 Feb 2012 3:35PM
I think a d40 or 40D does soem fast stuff too Wink

You are right Paul, ideally it would have one of those as well Smile
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
3 Feb 2012 8:58PM
I found that an old fold up music stand comes in handy for my DIY tri reflector Smile
JackAllTog Plus
5 Feb 2012 8:15PM
OK, so i glued a PC sync hotshoe adapter onto a standard light mount.
flashmount.jpg

The adapter had to be right over to one side as the flash protrudes down; also the cheap radio trigger went on upside down as other wise it could not be fitted.
Note the PC Scnc cord can still be used.
Also note your expensive flash is now supported only by the glue and the strength of the plastic adapter - so in real use i might also use a vecro safety strap around the flash and the umbrella tube to be sure.
I hope someone develops a cheap mount like this oneday.
This photo was taken with the flash working in this setup and providing the light,

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.