Stuck UV filter

homewurks 12 7 United Kingdom
6 Jun 2015 6:56PM
I have a Canon 24-70 f2.8 lens with a UV filter. The other day I tried to remove the filter to clean the lens but it was stuck fast. I have tried many techniques to remove the filter, even using a kitchen jar opener, but to no avail. I don't want to put too much twisting pressure on the lens itself - can anyone offer good advice?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
6 Jun 2015 6:57PM
You need TWO "preferably" attachments one will not do, one on the lens one on the filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAPdfGZK6GY

An easy way is take the lens off, place filter end down on mouse mat, rotate lens, simply grabbing the filter will not work, "jar opener" hope this is a joke
Fma7 4 1.0k United Kingdom
6 Jun 2015 7:13PM
Have a look here for some tips

Stuck Filter
sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
6 Jun 2015 7:30PM
I've always around using a marigold glove particular effective for this problem. Pop on a glove and then place the palm of your hand on the front of the lens trying to ensure as much of the filter ring is in contact with your hand as possible. Then apply a gentle pressure and twist.
homewurks 12 7 United Kingdom
6 Jun 2015 7:32PM
Sorry, JR1, the jar opener was not a joke - I was prepared to ditch the filter in order to remove it. I have ordered the filter wrenches shown on YouTube
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
6 Jun 2015 9:12PM

Quote:I've always around using a marigold glove particular effective for this problem. Pop on a glove and then place the palm of your hand on the front of the lens trying to ensure as much of the filter ring is in contact with your hand as possible. Then apply a gentle pressure and twist.

Yep, kitchen gloves usually do the trick.
robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
6 Jun 2015 10:40PM
i had a polorizing filter fall apart trying to remove it.seems the trick is dont screw them right up tightSmile
6 Jun 2015 11:10PM
Look on eBay for filter wrench. You may need two - one for filter itself and one for the lens.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
7 Jun 2015 9:37AM
I hadn't thought of Marigolds but I have removed a stuck filter using a leather glove.
I've also removed one using a jar opener.
Sorry, if that strikes you as funny.
User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Jun 2015 10:05AM

Quote:I hadn't thought of Marigolds but I have removed a stuck filter using a leather glove.
I've also removed one using a jar opener.
Sorry, if that strikes you as funny.

I have seen a few broken lenses focus motors due to the force that this can produce that is why PROPER tools are available
HUFC 6 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Jun 2015 11:48AM
try tightening another filter on top of Uv then try it
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
7 Jun 2015 4:16PM
A strip of cloth dipped in very hot water and wrapped around the filter metal ring, not touching the lens body (self-defeating if that expands too), and bot touching the filter glass, should help. Keep doing it until the ring has expanded enough to break the impasse.

Don't try to do it by sheer force!
MGJ 11 372 6
7 Jun 2015 9:49PM
Wouldn't one need to cool the filter ring and have it shrink and that will increase the clearance in between the two threads - unless the filter has the female threads which would be unusual? Heating the filter expands it tighter into the threads, or should do. Normally in the engineering world, if one uses heat, one heats the female, cools the male. Unless corrosion is the problem when just heating generally often works.

I used used a couple (literally) of drops of plus gas applied with a needle. Let capillary action take the dismantling fluid into the joint by leaving for ten minutes, and on the only occasion it has happened to me, the assembly came apart easily. One is applying so little plus gas that it doesn't go everywhere, and it stopped it ever happening again on that lens, which was a bit prone to sticking - but only ever jammed the once.

Read the other post - and K13 seems a little paranoid about oils. I think he believes that people are going to squirt the stuff around straight form the can!!! most of us are not in line for that kind of Darwin award.
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
8 Jun 2015 9:55AM

Quote:Normally in the engineering world, if one uses heat, one heats the female, cools the male.
I think you may have misunderstood your own theory. In the case of the OP, the lens is the male part and fits inside the female part. While not cooling the male part, I am suggesting heating the female, outer part. That is what your theory suggests doing.

Personally I wouldn't let any oily liquid close to a lens. Lens construction uses many adhesives and the effect of even a tiny amount dismantling lubricant would be unpredictable to say the least.
themak 6 1.0k Scotland
8 Jun 2015 10:07AM
Have to agree with MGJ - any filter / lens I've seen is filter = male, lens = female thread.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.