Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Studio Flash advice....

tavm 14 31 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 12:41PM
I hope this does not contravene EPZ rules.
In the HOT STUFF section is a great value for money studio set up from elemental. I have been looking at various set ups for a while and was about to go for it. I have spoken to the guys there and they are very friendly and helpful.
Has anyone used this system or a similar one in the same price band. I need to expand my studio work (mostly families and head shots) and the kit needs to be portable. For use on a Nikon system.
Many thanks in advance for ANY advice.
photoion 13 59 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2008 11:16AM
hi mate, thanks for info, can you let me know exactly where is that kit, I couldn't find it, sorry, I am new here and looking to buy a starter kit.
thanks
EPZSam 14 426 1 England
24 Apr 2008 12:05PM
Hi,

Welcome to ePz Smile

You can find a link to the article on the homepage of ePz.

Or, follow my link

S
Strobe 14 1.3k United States
24 Apr 2008 12:18PM
I am a novice when it comes to lighting and have been looking at the Interfit Ex150 Mark II but the "B" Series Ultra Studio 2 seems like a better deal.
Marc
24 Apr 2008 12:26PM
thanks all, anyway it looks like the are aompletly sold out until July!

I think I have seen better offers on eBay anyway.

however, what is the4 difference betwen umbrellas and the soft boxes?

cheers
EPZSam 14 426 1 England
24 Apr 2008 12:43PM

Quote:Umbrellas

The classic light modifier we probably all know from cheap portrait studios is the white or silver umbrella. The strobe is fired into the umbrella (and thus away from the subject), and the light is then reflected back from the inside of the umbrella.

Although this sounds good, umbrellas are surprisingly ineffective at softening light. If you look at headshots taken with umbrella setups, it is usual to see the white patches on the skin that are the characteristic of harsh flash lighting. (Note that this harshly-lit look is in vogue at the moment for some types of fashion photography.)

Some umbrellas are designed to be used in a different way. Instead of firing the strobe away from the subject, you fire it towards the subject and the light passes through the umbrella. This tends to be a little more effective, but is still generally not very good. A better form of softening was thus required.

Softboxes

Softboxes are hollow boxes made from fabric (with some kind of frame to hold their shape). They are usually rectangular. The strobe pokes into the back of the softbox. The back and sides are usually black, while the front is white.

The strobe lights the inside of the softbox. The light that passes through it is pretty evenly spread over the whole white fabric surface at the front, giving a soft, even light. The larger the softbox, the greater the softening effect. A typical size for a professional quality softbox is about one metre square, sometimes much larger.

From an excellent guide

S
24 Apr 2008 12:54PM
many thanks sberlyn, excellent response, i thought is just my not getting good results from umbrellas.

I am new in photography and much to learn I have (just being Yoda here Smile and I had the occasion to take some shots with an umbrella, the results weere not satisfactory at all.

So, I decided to buy 2 lights - 2 softboxes (1mx1m) with a 300w (or around) bulb (does the power of the bulb matter?) and that's all for the moment. All together with my 5D and 24-105mm and 70-200mm would make m great portraiture kit I reckon?
chinny 16 492 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2008 3:12PM
I just put a light kit in the classifieds...

Oops am I allowed t say that
Smile
24 Apr 2008 3:19PM
sprry, i am new, is that one priced 320?
24 Apr 2008 3:21PM
Its the Whole Kit, yes
24 Apr 2008 3:22PM
Shush you'll get me kicked of the forums.... selling things, come round the back if you wanna talk lol Wink
24 Apr 2008 3:30PM
please don't laugh! what does it mean "High key work"? thanks
24 Apr 2008 3:45PM

Quote:Please don't laugh!

Not at all good question dont know much about it myself :
See Here
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2008 3:47PM

Quote:Please don't laugh! what does it mean "High key work"? thanks

Lighting where the tones are mostly between mid grey and white.

Edit: The photo referred to above isn't 'high key' in my opinion; merely someone trying to produce a white background.

This is high key IMHO
24 Apr 2008 3:55PM
many thanks Henchard. I need to rummage all this info, a bit confusing as I understand high key work is not like 1+1=2.

I will probably need to do some Google research but I understand that this is high quality work something like that?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.